changed food too quickly

Paula N.

Owned by
1 cocker
Angus came home from the breeder on ProPlan Puppy. He had a bit of blood and mucus in his poop every once in a while so I wanted to switch him to a grain-free food. I switched him over to Taste of the Wild with no problems to his tummy. I made the switch slowly and integrated the new food in with the old. I then realized the price of the large bags and decided to try him on another, less expensive food. I got Holistic Blend Lamb and Rice (I realize rice is considered a grain but it doesn't other grains according to the store clerk).

However, this time, I switched him too quickly and now he has the runs like you wouldn't believe! It doesn't seem to be bothering him and he has had any accidents in the house so it is not an bowel urgency situation. I hope his poop will harden up over the next few days once he gets used to the new food.

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to help him along in the process? Would adding anything to thicken it up at this point make it even worse for his little tummy? And people said kids are tough!

well, it could be that it was too fast, or it could be the proteins are different and messing with his system.

For the sha-poopies I like to make puppy pumpkin pie.

Basically it's instant oatmeal, with some CANNED NO SPICE pumpkin in there, with some plain low fat yogurt and a dash of cinnamon.

It helps to bind and cinnamon is good for tummy. Mix up a nice bowl after the oatmeal cools and give that as food, with some of his kibble mixed in and gradually add more. I would say half & half right now, with spoonfuls of the pumpkin if he likes it. Mine do.

Linny, I would imagine this is straight, healthy oatmeal not the Quaker Oats that is in little, one-serving packages and full of sugar. I will definitely go off to the grocery store tonight as picking up cow-patties of poop is a tad difficult!;)

Interesting that this should come up today...I was just at a pet store and a lady was asking the same thing...woman behind the counter suggested carrots..cut into small pieces and steamed...add them to the food and it is suppose to help the rummy and intestines.

I have used plain pumpkin in the past for just about every dog I've owned except Zoe who turned her nose up at it...it does seem to work well.

I always keep a can or three of pumpkin at home. They love it just for treats! ^_^

Yep, just plain old oatmeal ( I do use the instant ) and nuke it with water, simple to do.

I have also taken this recipe and baked little blobs of it in the oven for crunchy snacks too

I always keep a can or three of pumpkin at home. They love it just for treats! ^_^

had to laugh the other day in the petstore I noticed that someone, can't remember the name of the company, is actually putting plain pumpkin out with their/lable on it....at about three times the cost of a can in the store.

Yep, just plain old oatmeal ( I do use the instant ) and nuke it with water, simple to do.

I have also taken this recipe and baked little blobs of it in the oven for crunchy snacks too

I still make the crunchie snacks from the receipe you gave me... babyfood chicken-oatmeal-garlic-parm cheese...the girls love them.

Those treats DO sound good! Please share the recipe :)

I use canned pumpkin or mashed up bananas . . . either one will help immensely with the squirts.

OK, this is from memory cause I haven't transferred all my documents fromold puter to new (I know I m lazy)

About 2 cups cooked (I use the long cooking) oatmeal.
2 jars chicken baby food
1/2 parmesan cheese
about 1 tsp garlic powder

mix all togeather in bowl, roll into little balls and bake on cooky sheet for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees depending on the size of the treats..we make little ones the longer you cook them the crunchier.

You can add shredded apples and cinnamon instead of garlic and cheese;
or sub the parm cheese for cheddar.

ADDED: If you sub the cheddar, they will be a little "greasy" when first out of the oven but as they ciik they get better

Last edited:
Yeah, that's about it..,.

simple, healthy and good. Garry even ate one of the applesauce cinnamon ones.

Sometimes I shred a whole apple (not skin) and add that to the dessert ones.

Mostly, mine like the cheesy garlic ones the best. Burp, garlic breff:naughty:

Those treats DO sound good! Please share the recipe :)

I use canned pumpkin or mashed up bananas . . . either one will help immensely with the squirts.

I've got to stop reading this forum on my lunch hour.

I couldn't find canned pumpkin so I'm using rice. In the morning, Angus' BMs are formed but soft (ok with me, at least we can pick it up!) and if he goes again on that walk, it is bubbly liquid. If he goes at lunch, it will be formed and soft again. If he goes at night, it is squirty again.

How long will this last before he gets used to his new food? I hate to change him again and totally throw his tummy for a loop. We did this switch on Saturday.

Kelly, I will try the mushed up bananas next. He does love the rice mixed in with his dry food though.

It might take another day or two Paula. Check for canned pumpkin in the baking section of your grocery store, but make sure you buy the PLAIN stuff, and not the spiced stuff (been there, done that). You could put him on rice and chicken (or boiled ground beef) for a day or two, and slowly start adding the new food back in once his tummy stabilizes. Sometimes that helps.

Wow guys! I don't think I ever saw this recipe! I'm going to make them for my crew.^_^

Paula, good luck with Agnus, poor baby. I don't give mine rice as a steady diet, they get the squirts from rice if it isn't cooked properly. My Pep loves rice of any kind, so, he will sometimes get a spoon full.. but never any more..

Well I found canned pumpkin and....it's a miracle! Poop that is scoopable! I put some cinnamon in it and mixed it with the kibble. At first, Angus had no idea what to do with it and how to eat it but once he figured that out, he was head first in his bowl until the very last bit!

Hopefully this will keep things good until he gets used to his new kibble! Thanks everyone!

Yay Paula! Glad it worked! Now Agnus can get back to normal!^_^

Back