dry scaly skin on belly

katie

Owned by
2 cockers
I have a black and tan, 3 yr old male who has dry scaly skin on his belly. He is itchy and when the scales come off the area underneath is pink/red and looks like a scab has been removed. I have an oatmeal with coconut oil shampoo to use on him. I want to know if there is anything else that I can do and how often should I bath him? Thank you for any info!

Hi and welcome Katie. You will be moderated for a short while. We promise to get to your posts as fast as we can.

Did you take your boy to your vet and ask him what it is? It could be any number of things. That's what I would do.

he was at the vet the other day and she said that he looks good! We have noticed that our house is so dry and with the cold weather I'm thinking that is the cause.

I would also take him to a vet. There are too many things it could be to diagnose it here on MCS. it really would be a good idea to get it diagnosed by a vet. They have the ability to do skin scrapings and look at them under a microscope.

I have a black and tan, 3 yr old male who has dry scaly skin on his belly. He is itchy and when the scales come off the area underneath is pink/red and looks like a scab has been removed. I have an oatmeal with coconut oil shampoo to use on him. I want to know if there is anything else that I can do and how often should I bath him? Thank you for any info!

My Black and Tan had a similar issue but it was because when I adopted him he had mats pulling at his skin irritating it.

The vet gave me a spray on steroid/anti itch that he told me to just give him a spray twice a day and sure enough in a few weeks it cleared up. He just had to leave it alone.

I'd take him/her to the vet, skin problems can be an easy fix but it's really something a vet should see.

Katie, did the vet not notice the dry skin when you were there, or has it just popped up since the last visit?

That sounds like the spot Braggs had on her neck that turned out to be skin cancer. Not saying that's what it is, but hers started out that way and we didn't think much about it at first, until she started scratching it a lot and it was always crusty. There are lots of things it could be, most of which are probably easily treatable. I think I would have it checked out, just to be sure.

Your cockers are very pretty Katie.
I am one of those people that worries about anything different that I have not been through or seen before...so it is off to the Vet for lots of questions. There are so many skin issues which can range from minor to major...I would take him to the vet and have it checked out.

Last edited:
Could be environmental allergies. Meaning cleaning products in your home, stuff from outside, inhalants really. Have seen two dogs like what you are describing, vet visit first. See what they determine through skin scrape, and take it from there.

My Black and Tan guy had the same problem. We never did figure out why, my vet guessed it may have been from how matte he was when I first adopted him and then having him groomed and bathed agitated it.

Basically he got a sterile style anti-itch cream and within a few weeks he was cleared up. His occurred more around groin, inner legs, and tummy.

He didn't seem to uncomfortable with it, just itchy.

Back