ear infection already!!

Paula N.

Owned by
1 cocker
Urgh, we took Angus in for his 2nd shots on Friday after having him for only a week (he's 12 weeks) only to find out that he has bilateral ear infections. Last Saturday we took him in for a check and the weekend vet did not notice the infection but our regular vet (we love him) smelled Angus' ears and then looked in them with with otoscope. We are now putting the drops in his ears twice a day and see the vet again next Monday.

I asked about the blue powder solution and Zim ear solution and our vet said that if Angus has any kind of small cut inside his ear, the vinegar will stick the heck out of him. I still think I am going to use one of the two every week once this clears up just to keep them clean.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the puppy still when we put the drops in...the vet makes it look so easy!
:(

Paula,
So sorry your little guy has to start his life with your family with a double ear infection. Unfortunately, bad ears can be a problem with any breed dog with long floppy beautiful ears like our Cockers. I do use the blue at least once or twice a week in my crew's ears. I use it just as part of my grooming routine, the same as upkeeping teeth. I have never had a pup that young, but I would advise getting Angus used to a schedule now to help make things easier as he grows. I'm sure pup owners will have more advice for you like Gina, Linny, Manuel etc..:)

Yeah, ear infections kinda come with the territory of cocker spaniels.

When you bath try to keep as much water out of the ears as possible (use BIG cottom balls), keeping the hair insided the ear trimmed heps too.

We use a solution in the girls ears weekly it is by K-9 Health called Ear Solutions..you can order it online if no one in your area carries it.

I'm sorry to hear about Angus' ears. Poor little guy!

I use the homemade solution and it is a life saver! Some years ago nothing was helping with Patch's ear infections and the vet wanted to culture his ears. People on the board were saying how wonderful this stuff is, so I made a batch.

His double ear infection was gone in 2 weeks and he hasn't had one since. I use it once a week for maintenance.

The first few times with Bailey I put him up on our bed and my wife held his head still, stroked his chin and talked to him while I put the drops in and massaged his ears. After a few weeks on a regular schedule, I can now grab the bottle and head for the bedroom, and he follows me and jumps up on the bed himself. Sometimes he still gets ornery and rolls on his back so I can't get to either ear. A few rubs of the belly and I can usually get him on his side without a lot of resistance.

Poor Angus! Sorry to hear that he has ear infections.

We use Oti-rinse we get from the vet. We clean weekly (as I have one boy that has very waxy ears due to allergies).

My husband usually holds the kids while I clean the ears. If I do it by myself, I put them on the grooming table & they do really well for me.

If you work with Angus, he will get used to it.

Some dogs really hate the cold ear cleaner in their ears, so try warming it up like you would warm a baby bottle (in a glass of hot water or whatever). That will make it less uncomfortable for Angus.

Some dogs really hate the cold ear cleaner in their ears, so try warming it up like you would warm a baby bottle (in a glass of hot water or whatever). That will make it less uncomfortable for Angus.

I know irrigating a person's ear with cold water stimulates the vomiting reflex in people. It's probably the same for dogs.

I found the answer!! It may seem obvious to all of you long-time dog owners but I'm thrilled! I just put him up on a table and tell him to sit. He just sits there and this morning I was able to give him the ear drops by myself without my husband holding him down. I am also able to comb him while on the table whereas on my lap or the floor, he just ate the comb and thought it was play time.
BTW, his ears look cleaner (at least what I can see) but they still smell the same. When the vet had me smell them, I thought it was just the regular "dog smell" but I guess not. I've got all of the gentian violet ingredients so I will try that if given the ok once he sees the vet again on Monday.
Thanks for your help.

That's good news. Getting the drops in is half the battle.

Back