eating cat poo

MoesMom

Owned by
1 cocker
well now that moe is behaving better, our cat recently had to have a serious surgery and the littler box that is usually downstairs is now moved upstairs due to her mobility issues, and we have caught moe eating the poop out of the litter box! sometimes right after she goes!! We cannot figure out how to do anything about it without dissuading the cat to use the litter box, but he's now starting to vomit after eating it! HELP!!

Welcome to the club! :p

If your cat is convalescing from surgery, block the doorway to your litter box with a pet gate. Raise it high enough so your cat can get by but not your cocker. Cat litter probably doesn't sit well in a dogs stomach. If Moe continues to vomit please take her to a vet.

I had cats before I ever had dogs.. When our cockers came into our lives, all the cats things went up high. One thing we did was always put the cat box up high.. but when my cats got older, I just cut a cat door in my hot water closet and kept the cat box in there.. Worked out great!

Is one of those covered litter boxes an option? If the cover and entry are small enough, your kitty could get in and out, but Moe wouldn't be able to get in there. I know some cats won't use the closed litter boxes, though.

she just had her leg amputated so putting things up high won't work, she can't jump. =[
we did put it in the bathroom closet and moe is strictly not allowed in the bathroom (he drinks out of the toilet! and eats our clothes!)
she has a enclosed kitty box, and i'm thinking about bringing that one upstairs...
thanks for all the help, i was just way grossed out that moe would eat poop. lol. =]]

Oh dogs LOVE cat poop . . . that I could have told you! Cat food has much higher protein levels than dog food, and some of that gets excreted in their stool. That's why dogs love it so much. But yes, it is VERY gross to us!

Back