Equipment?

member 23

Owned by
1 cocker
Can anyone link me to a good kit to start with that isn't insanely expensive? I'm wanting to learn how to groom myself. POOR KAYLEE! LOL

I like puppy cuts... if that is important.

......Can someone move this to Grooming? Oops.

Can anyone link me to a good kit to start with that isn't insanely expensive? I'm wanting to learn how to groom myself. POOR KAYLEE! LOL

I like puppy cuts... if that is important.

......Can someone move this to Grooming? Oops.

Ashlee Moved :D

Ashlee sometimes the cheaper clippers are just not worth the money. I know that Robin, Linny, and Kelly will have more advice for you. I would also invest in a couple of cocker grooming dvd's..

eBay is always nice :D

Maybe you could buy your items one at a time. You could get a nice pair of sheers and practice doing the feet and legs. I've used a bargain pair of Wahls made for people on Gabby. It's more trouble than it's worth. They didn't have much power and it took forever. Neither me or Gabby were happy about it.

A good pair of clippers with a detachable blade, #10 blade, #3 blade, and my first grooming scissors I couldn't afford much do went to Dollar Tree and got a pair of 7" people haircutting scissors. You'll also need a greyhound comb. These are the bare minimum to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robin,
I have a question about the greyhound combs. I've never heard of them before but I just did some research and found them online. I'm wondering about the comb called 'the beast' because it is advertised as being excellent for getting out mats. My poor Disney was matting badly and I tried the few tools I have to remove them but I just couldn't do it without hurting him. His fur is so dense and thick. So, I ended up bringing him to the groomer and now he's all shaved down and practically naked. I feel terrible that I couldn't get the mats out and they just kept getting worse the longer his fur got so the groomer had no choice but shave him. I have a feeling that mats are going to be an ongoing problem with him and I'd like to keep ahead of them.
I'm also trying to learn to groom Disney myself and I bought some great shears and the clipper his breeder suggested. I think I will be able to do it if he isn't all matted.
In your professional opinion, should I buy 'the beast' or something else?
Thanks so much!

I'm not familiar with anything called the beast. Do you have a link?

LOL :)
I'm laughing at them, not you. That's a WAY OVERPRICED regular greyhound comb. Absolutely nothing special except being a color you might want. Go to www.petedge.com to buy one. You'll want the medium/course one. Only @ a third of the price of the one you found.

Now what I use to brush out mats on my showdogs is made by an expensive company but petedge has a knockoff that would work for an owner. You'll want the single sided extra firm brush. The link to it to see what it looks like is:
http://www.petedge.com/catalog/product_popup.jsp?entityId=47391&entityType=product&templateType=1

Thank you, Robin.....I'm glad you're not laughing at me! :lol:
I buy everything through PetEdge and I've been very happy, so I will order these items too.
This is what I LOVE about this board....everyone is so helpful and willing to share information and advice.
What a great bunch of people!!!
Thanks again from me and from Disney, too...

Back