Field Training

Owned by
1 cocker
Have any of you trained your pups to do field work? I am wanting to train my little girl to do what she should know, but I don't quite know how. Any Advice?

Crimson
My crew are all couch lovers lol.. but I'm sure you will get some great advice here.

you mean like flushing birds? Do you shoot birds?

Or do you mean tracking?

Look up a few articles and see if you can find some clubs in the area that do tracking. Personally mine just like to chase the squirrels, flush the birds and do this in the back yard.

Most of the time they can be found belly up in the AC on a soft bed or on me in the recliner

Reagan loves to chase birds and squirrels. She will point at them and stalk too, but it is all just for fun in the backyard.

Good luck. I am sure there are a lot of good sources online. You might also check out the public library for some books.

All of mine have always been instinctive "hunters" within the confines of our back yard. They've snatched countless birds from the bushes or out of mid-air, and chased down numerous rabbits that have dared to encroach on their territory. Beyond that they usually find a soft chair or dark corner and snooooooooooooze.

Hup! is a great book for training your dog to do field work, like flushing, retrieving, etc.

If you're looking more for tracking-type training, there's a new book called "Making Scents Of Tracking" - available at Borders or Amazon or whatever. Can't remember the dog's name offhand.

Back