Finishing trimmers?

DotInFlorida

Owned by
2 cockers
I have been looking at all types of trimmers lately and have spoke in depth with the vet tech teacher at the high school where I work. Today we talked about the small 1" wide trimmers. Oster and Wahl make them and she said that they would be good for trimming between the pads and also the face and is thinking about getting a pair herself. I am seriously considering getting a pair for a couple of reasons. I have arthritis in both hands and I think I would feel more comfortable using something smaller near her face. The other reason is I am not used to trimming such a small dog. lol (we are used to Rotties)

Do you think they would be worth it? Or am I throwing my money away?
Have any of you ever used them?

Any input would be appreciated. :)

these are not good for a cockers face. They cut too short, leave hot spots and in the hands of a newbie, can be dangerous.

About the only thing I would use them for is inbetween the paw pads.

Please save your $$

Thanks. I was wondering about the cutting too close part when I saw what the blade was.

Best just save my $ for the real trimmers.

Hmmm...finishing trimmers for pads. You've got my attention. We have problems with pine tree sap. I already had to cut a mat out of our new puppy's paw due to tree sap. Gabby has so many growths all over his body--these might come in handy. Thanks for mentioning.

Scissors Dot. I just got a new pair. IF my dogs will allow a trimmer between pads I do that but for the ones who will not, they get scissored. You are not so far from me that I can't help you know...would be glad to come help a bit even if I'm not a professional.

Dot!
Yes, I have one of those mini trimmers and never use it.. I sissor between toes.. I don't have the problem with sap and other things here.. so I'm lucky. I would save for a good clipper.. have you reviewed the grooming section? I know you have been posting here.. there are a lot of great posts with lots of info here..^_^

Scissors it is. Thanks everyone.

I need to look for a good pair. I bought a pair (Millers Forge I think) at Pet Supplies Plus and they were awful so I took them back.

I have people clippers and scissors that I use to cut hubby's hair but I don't think he would appreciate me using them on Ellie. :naughty:

Dubl Duck makes good scissors at reasonable prices . . . check out any of the online pet supply retailers and look for the Dubl Duck Mercedes line. They run around $50 a pair I think, but they cut very nicely.

I clipper between the pads using at least a #15 blade. It stops them from matting in there, and keeps the foot a bit cleaner.

You guys with the sissors are brave...I have a phobia about sissors and never use sissors around faces or feet. Clippers it is for ME. Years ago with my Booker (RIP baby girl) a unexperienced groomer almost cut a pad off of her left foot with sissors. After many visits to the vet, stuches and bandage changes the pad was saved. I know that it was a mistake but what ticked me off was that they tried to cover it up (ie glue !!!), it could have been a crippling error. I myself years ago (26 years ago)clipped and earfold on Phreddie. I use clippers between the toes.

That's terrible. I had my mom help me trim Gabby's pads. I picked him up and held him while she trimmed him. She started scissoring between his toes which made be a bit nervous. She nicked his pad. I wasn't deep but certainly did bleed.

I am so glad I read this thread. I have a great pair of clippers and I thinking about getting a pair of trimmers. I'll forget about it. I use both the clippers and scissors for doing the pads. The clippers are a great start, but I personally feel I get more control with the scissors. This is the area I am the slowest with.

Back