First Haircut: When should I start?

newpuppymama

Owned by
1 cocker
Hey everyone,

When should a puppy have her first haircut? Bella is 10 weeks and I really want to get her ears shaved on the inside(in case of ear infections) and around paws and rear(sorry..no other way to put it..). She doesn't have all her vaccinations yet..so I wondered if a groomer would even touch her.. Also, what is good to help make her coat shiny?

Renae and Bella:)

I start doing puppy haircuts at 4 weeks old - the sooner, the better. Because Cockers require so much grooming, it's important to get them used to the clippers at a young age. The longer you put it off, the more stressful it will be for your baby. Find a good groomer that will be gentle with her, and book a puppy grooming appointment. They should trim her ears and face, as well as her paws and back end, as well as cleaning ears and clipping nails.

And then you MUST post pictures of Bella for all of us to ooh and aah over!!!!

Hey everyone,

When should a puppy have her first haircut? Bella is 10 weeks and I really want to get her ears shaved on the inside(in case of ear infections) and around paws and rear(sorry..no other way to put it..). She doesn't have all her vaccinations yet..so I wondered if a groomer would even touch her.. Also, what is good to help make her coat shiny?

Renae and Bella:)

Kelly is right on with the 4 weeks ! THEN I do them every two weeks after that so they don't forget.
Tomorrow...my new babies get their first haircut :) I will post pictures

Oh wow, I feel like a horrible mother. Angus is 17.5 weeks and not had a cut yet. He will be at the groomer on the 20th and she is going to teach me how to do it myself. I brush him everyday and have given him bathes - last night was the most recent...man, was the water ever dirty even though his previous was 3 weeks earlier. He was a total wiggle-butt last night so maybe I'll have to take him to the groomer rather than do it myself! He's giving us attitude all the way around lately, lol.

Thanks everyone!! I agree!! I play with her ears and feet a lot, plus brushing and bathing, so I'm hoping she'll do okay for the groomer...

Renae and Bella:D

I have alwalys taken my puppies to to the groomer the first week after I go to the vet just to make sure they get used to the brushing, clippers, etc. My vet in NJ agreed with that and now that we live in Florida, my vet here agreed too when I got Woody. He was at the groomers the following week we got him, he was 9 weeks old.

He now loves the groomer and getting baths. Pluto is another story. He also went to the groomer the week after we got himand he has never gotten used to the clippers. He tolerates it, but does not like it.

ALL my newbies go on the table need it or not near immediately after coming home. I only have rescues but with most rescues you get to start all over as if they were just puppies. Merlin (aka Shaggy) was soo matted up he deserved his previous name so I hear. He got shaved down for adoption except for some fringe on his ears so now he goes on the table every week if all I do is brush and inspect toenails and clean ears. He's been with me a month now and is learning to trust that I won't hurt him. Clippered once or twice so far...I have to earn his trust. Takes time and a lot of patience.

since most pet owners don't get their pups at 4 weeks of age, nor are they groomers, I suggest they start to play with feet and ears right away. Puppy massage is nice,

and start getting them used to being brushed and washed down. You don't have to do it the day they come home (unless they poo in crate in car) but soon after -- helps to start the bonding process too.

Gentle handling and rewards for being a good puppy.

A groomer that does a puppy visit is great -- but I believe it starts at home.

When we got Renie at 8 weeks he didn't need a haircut yet. I happened to have a pair of human clippers. I'd turn them on and then lightly touch him with the back of them. I didn't attempt to trim him, but I wanted to get him used to being touched and the vibrations. I would do this a few times a week for a few minutes each time. By the time he went to the groomers he was used to the noise and vibrations and he did very well. I groom him myself now and he's a year old. He is great with it.

When we got Renie at 8 weeks he didn't need a haircut yet. I happened to have a pair of human clippers. I'd turn them on and then lightly touch him with the back of them. I didn't attempt to trim him, but I wanted to get him used to being touched and the vibrations. I would do this a few times a week for a few minutes each time. By the time he went to the groomers he was used to the noise and vibrations and he did very well. I groom him myself now and he's a year old. He is great with it.

That's a great way of getting a dog used to being groomed. Gabby was my first dog. There's so many things I could have done to make things easier. We're raising our second cocker Hoshi hoping to correct our past mistakes.

Back