Flea Prevention

LolaGirl_116

Owned by
1 cocker
So Lola has fleas again. It's not an infestation, but enough to drive me crazy. We live in LA, and it seems like the fleas are getting worse every year, despite the fact that she's indoors 90% of the time. In general, I try to go the natural route when it come to my little nugget. She has proven to be extremely sensitive to most things, namely prescription medication and food. I've tried brewer's yeast supplements to no avail. She just ends up with a skin infection and ear infection. We have all hardwood/tile floors, no rugs or carpets. I wash her bedding and toys weekly, and bathe her bi-weekly with a natural flea shampoo and oatmeal conditioner. I treat my apartment with Diatomaceous Earth, sweep, vacuum, and clean floors regularly. I use Vet's best essential oil spray around the apartment and apply lavender oil to her leather collar as a repellant. All to no avail.

So it looks like I'm going to have to give in and start her on a monthly medication. Because she is so sensitive, I worry most about the side-effects that are common with these pesticide based medications. I know every dog is different though, so there's really no way to know. Any recommendations on brands that you have experience with as well as any side-effects you've noticed would be very helpful. I'm leaning towards Comfortis, but I would love some other suggestions!

Thanks!:)

Back