Food For After Patch's Dental?

Dee Dee

Owned by
1 cocker
Patch is having his teeth cleaned this week, and at the same time she is going to remove the growth on his lower eyelid.

I picked up the breakdown for the bill, and they have listed Science Diet "T/D Canine" to send home with him to eat.

I don't like using Science Diet, so I wondered if anyone can suggest another food for him to eat that is good enzyme wise for his teeth?

He normally eats Solid Gold dry food.

Thanks! :)

Ugh, I won't use Science Diet either,

and would stick with his normal food. If you want to start with enzymes, you can get CET toothpaste and just rub on his gums -- mixes with puppy spit and helps. I usually put some on the ends of bully stix or hooves.

Now one of the best ways to help teeth is to give RAW CHICKEN WINGS ... weeeeeeee

Have not ever given a special food after a dental. A little water in the kibble to soften it up for a few days perhaps...that's all. My vet was big on suggesting Hills for near about anything but they sell that stuff there so they get a kickback already. I would think changing the diet would lead to more problems than it's worth. jmho

Thank you! I agree, I'm not going to change his food when he gets home. I will put the toothpaste on his gums, great idea!

Yeah, I think the vet gets a kickback on the Science Diet...they really like to push it for everything!

I do give them softer food for a day or so... sometimes chicken baby food or oatmeal and yogurt, stuff like that, but I don't go changing their food cause the vet thinks this food with prevent a dental in the future.

They said the Science Diet has an enzyme in it that helps with the tartar build up...

Good idea about the soft food for a few days too! Thanks!

Yeah, that's the 'thing' about Science diet. There is ONE ingredient in most of the food that will help. The rest of the ingredients are crap.

So, you feed a good food and add the ONE ingredient as a supplement.

I buy doggy toothpaste and put it in the grooves of some of the Kong dental toys . . . the dogs go nuts for those, and it helps clean their teeth at the same time. Linny is right, though, chicken wings, necks and backs are the BEST for cleaning teeth. Raw, of course, and NEVER given with a kibble meal.

Do you guys use the toothpaste on their gums, on toys, etc., in place of brushing their teeth? Or is that on top of brushing their teeth?

Brushing Patch's teeth isn't fun and hard to do!

depends on the dog. If they hate their teeth brushed and don't / won't chew on bones anymore, then I rub the enzyme toothpaste on their teeth gums, REAL fast hehehe and it helps.

Some dogs I can scale their teeth and no problems, others would rather I don't look inside.

Now one of the best ways to help teeth is to give RAW CHICKEN WINGS ... weeeeeeee

I want to give chicken wings but I can not get past the raw on their feet (they hold their bones and chew toys between them).

Will it cross contaiminate their toys?

I'm curious about the chicken wing idea. I guess the safe thing to do would be washing the meat first. I'd might wipe their paws down with a wash towel afterwards.

I fed raw for 3 years and never had a sick dog . . . I didn't wash their feet or anything afterward. Never thought about their paws or toys being contaminated.

I never had an issue either.

I did soak my wings/back/necks first, in cold water with a few drops of grapeseed extract.

Then I froze them

And defrosted them in fridge when it was time

Wings are perfect ratio of phos/calcium

Linny
I didn't know you fed some raw! Hmmm I was always afraid of the messy feet also. Maybe I should try! I can sure get grapefruit seed extract LOL..

Hmm
How many wings/necks do you feed each and how often?

Linny
I didn't know you fed some raw! Hmmm I was always afraid of the messy feet also. Maybe I should try! I can sure get grapefruit seed extract LOL..

Hmm
How many wings/necks do you feed each and how often?

Polly.. many years ago when it was just Lacey and Kyle here, I used to feed them raw wings 3 or 4 times a week. First, I would just soak a pack of wings in warm water in the sink and add a few drops of the grapefruit seed extract to it. They each would get 2, sometimes 3 wings for each meal.. depending on the size. They loved em... crunching away... bones and all. Their poops were chalky and small too.

Now when I feed raw, it's already prepared raw, from our pet pantry down the street.

They love it, looks like a hamburger, it's frozen and I defrost it. They go nuts for it -- and I hand feed it and wash my hands afterwards is all. Oh one of them prefers it slightly warmed in the microwave, but not cooked, just warmed.

Another way to get raw or bones is to just purchase some raw beef bones from the supermarket -- with some meat on them. Enzymes are a good thing.

Well I will have to think about it. I do know that enzymes are good.. but never wanted their feet dirty LOL.. I sure will think about it.

Back