"gumming"??

thissam

I own a 1 1/2 old blond cocker female named Maggie Mae. I've noticed from the beginning when you pet her, she will "gum" your hand with her teeth. Sometimes its almost like shes trying to move your hand...? She doesn't bite and it doesn't hurt when she does this but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why she does this. Thanks for any advice! :)

Does she have toys or something like a ball to play with? Having trouble with her teeth?

I have always been told that they need to be taught that using thier mouths on you is not ok. I am sure others will come along with good advice.

Thats what I hear. Even when being fed peanut butter with my fanger ( sorry I meant finger ) Moose is careful and gentle. Otherwise no bitting. That goes for me and him.

Thanks everyone! I will certainly check the link you provided. I really do think she's just trying to move my hand to where SHE wants it but I still want to discourage it as it can/could be misunderstood by others. I'm the only one she does it with...?? :)

Back