Help aquainting our coker with another dog

whonew

Hello, as I am new here. I want to thank everyone for any advice ahead of time.
So here is my problem: I have an 11 month old male American Cocker. His name is Cooper. He is not neutered. My wife's sister has recently gotten a 10 week old chocolate lab, and has asked us to puppy sit on a few occasions, mostly just for a few hours at a time while she has errands to run etc. So we have brought this new puppy into our home, and into Cooper's domain. Now I expected some barking, and whining, and jealousy...but it was way more than I expected. Now Cooper is usually pretty good around other dogs when we are out walking, he sniffs, and that's as far as it goes, no barking no rough stuff. Now I know having him out walking, and putting him in the same house with another dog are two totally different things, but Cooper absolutely goes crazy when we bring the Lab over. He gets very mean, he barks at him non-stop, growls, bears his teeth, etc. But he has no problem sniffing the lab(Kato) is his name, or approaching him, but as soon as Kato even comes close to trying to sniff Cooper Cooper runs away and whines, or barks like mad. He's like a big scaredy cat. And Kato has never approached Cooper in a mean fashion, he's a puppy and just wants to play as puppy's do. Now like I said I know that this is normal instinct as this is Coopers territory, but there inlays my question, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make Cooper relax when we bring Kato around(or other dogs in the future)?? Are there any exercises I can do with them to aquaint them better, and to show Cooper that it's ok and the big bad lab isn't going to hurt him, and that's it's ok to share?? Please, any advice would be great, as these dogs are going to be seeing plenty of each other over the next 13-15 years, and it would be nice to save the barking headaches, not only for us, but our neighbours. Once again, thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

Bennett

Edited by Manuel: Don't be afraid of using paragraphs. I've summarized your post below. Of course, welcome to our forum. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Summary of Bennett's Post:

2 Dogs Involved:
  1. Cooper: Cocker 11mos, owned by Bennet
  2. Kato: Chocolate Lab: 10wks, lives elsewhere
Facts: Cooper doesn't like Kato coming over.

Q: "Are there any exercises I can do with them to aquaint them better?" Bennet is also concerned about loud barking when they're together.

My Reading Recommendations:Bottom line: You have time to work this out since Kato only visits occasionally. I would gradually introduce the dogs on neutral territory and make the experience positive for both.

Good luck and have patience. :thumbsup:

It sounds to me like Cooper is afraid of Kato, and is reacting in a way to scare Kato off (even though Kato is being friendly). This isn't that uncommon - especially since many Cockers seem to think they're much larger than they are.

Manuel has given you some great links for follow-up reading. Dr. Patricia McConnell has a fabulous booklet regarding reactive dogs - Feisty Fido (http://www.patriciamcconnell.com). It's well worth the small price for the advice and information.

Bennett
Great name BTW! (My last name is Bennett)
Both Manuel and Kelly have given you great advice. My only other advice would be to get your pup into puppy training. It's great fun, a great way to socalize your baby and it's a great way for you to learn also.:)

Puppy classes are a fabulous idea! As a dog class teacher, I can't believe I forgot to recommend them!

A structured lifestyle for Cooper will help him feel more secure in daily life. That includes set meal times (I choose to feed twice a day - I don't believe in free-feeding my dogs), learning tricks and commands, and not being allowed to do whatever he wants whenever he wants. Basically, he needs routine, just like a child does. When a dog has structure, they tend to feel more secure, and that often helps them relax when other dogs are around, simply because they know that YOU (the owner) have it under control. Check out this site on NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) for more ideas on structure - http://www.k9deb.com

Thank You!!

Hey guys and gals,

Thank you for all the input! I did a lot of reading today, lol. We registered Cooper for puppy classes today, they start in May, and we are looking forward to them. We also took Kato and Cooper on a friendly walk today, it was nice to have them too distracted with leaves and branches to fight with each other haha. I realize that it will take time and a lot of patience and effort, but I know it will be well worth it! I want to thank you all once again for your help, support, and advice, and I will definitely keep you posted on Cooper's endeavours.

Cheers,

Bennett

I think walks together are a great idea. I'm sure they both love walks and they're pretty much focused on being outside. It's a great opportunity for them to bond. ^_^

Back