Help with house training

Robbie C

Help, we have a 11 weeks old cocker and are trying really hard at house training,
We have taken all the advice of taking him outside after meals,sleep,playtime and just generally watching him like a hawk, he has been doing really well and we thought we were getting somewhere but the last few days he refuses to do 1s and 2s outside and waits till he comes inside,
We can be outside for a good 15/20 mins encouraging him to go.

Advice please ☹☹

Do you use a crate? If the puppy won’t go outside, I would crate mine for about 15 minutes or so and then take it back outside. When they do go I would do a happy dance and give a treat.

Robbie, I just went thru the same thing w/Callie, so I feel for you. My hubby was getting upset, and I was tired of cleaning up the floor-especially since she wouldn't use the pee pad! So, we were goin thru a ton of paper towels. I tried the crate. I tried not giving her a treat, but getting all happy. I stayed out for ever, and as soon as we went back in, she'd go. This is what I did.

First off, I got a bell. I have horses, so when I bought feed, I also bought a cow bell, and tied it where she could reach it. Any time she played w/it, or knocked it accidentally, I took her out. If she did anything, I gave her a small treat. She seemed to be catching on.

Then, I had her outside basically all day while I cared for the horses and did some work in their field. Every time I noticed her doing her business, I'd praise her and give her a treat. It didn't take long B4 she'd do her business, then come over to me wagging her butt and looking for a treat. She is now housebroke, though she will still have the occasional accident. (Like this evening when I was getting a shower.)

In addition to saying "ditto" to Karen...... How's the weather where you live? lots of dogs dont want to get wet. Esp if its cold. I would try not to spend 20min outside while housebreaking a dog. Instead, give them 5min then back inside and into their crate. Try again 15-30 min later. The only time this doenst work is if the dog is dirty in their crate.

If you have a dog who is dirty in their crate its a different situation and good luck to you...... its MUCH more difficult to get them housebroken!!

I would keep your puppy on a very strict schedule and try not to deviate from it. When in the house, keep your baby on a leash attached to you so you can learn his body language and he can't sneak behind the furniture to do his business. When I was housebreaking my baby, I would take him out without fail right after a nap, right after he ate, etc. Once you have him tethered to you, you will learn his signs pretty fast.

Callie didn't like wet, either. But, instead of holding it for hours and hours, she'd just pee on the floor.

Back