Help with this topknot please

Cockers4Ever

Owned by
2 cockers
I cant seem to get it 'right' I can get it shorter, but it still sticks up in this pattern. What am I doing wrong? Should I shave more between his eyebrows?

thanks from Pineapple head boy ;)

128 (800x600).jpg

Cockers4ever...I think your boy is cute with his spiked hair. :)
Kelly covered everything about clipping the cocker head in her great post and I love that she told about clipping inside the entire ear leather...I also do this and think it helps let more air in to the ear.
I do not show so I think it is fun to play with the topknot. I keep using thinning shears till it lays down as much as I want it to. Sometimes I leave it longer and thick sticking up like your boy...other times I thin till it lays down almost flat. When clipping I start topknot at the outer edge of eye and kinda round it up and back to the ears so the entire front dome of head is left as the topknot. Kinda like a half circle from eye rounding up and ending it about the middle of the ear. I am not sure if that is the correct way but it is how my Mom taught me years ago and I have just always stuck with it.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of Levi that you can see his topknot...runs from the outer corner of eyes rounded up to the ears...trim about 1/3 down outside of ears and I clip all of the inside of ears. Again not sure if this is the right way, but it the the way I have used for my pet cockers for years. He is a puppy so his hair is very fine and lays down right now but I am sure as he gets older and his hair gets thicker he can sport some wild doos...:)

View attachment 7644

My old guy Farley thinks you should let it grow. He likes crazy hair!View attachment 7642

Missy agrees but prefers her Mohawk. She quite the punk.

u5ahy6ur.jpg

Sorry, I'm too distracted looking at that gorgeous face to see a topknot!!

I like that this thread has turned into a 'lets see the funky hairdoos' thread. I enjoy grooming my dogs; I like not paying $50+ per dog and not having to worry about the scheduling..... but lets just say that they all frequently look like their mamma cut their hair! Teddy's hair is different than my other dogs' - I never realized that color could be a factor. The first time I did him, he looked like I did it drunk with one eye closed. Thank goodness they cant complain!

ok, time to get the clipper....

Ok, I could not let this thread go by without adding a picture of the magnificent mohawk of the late Nicholas Cockervich Nobarkoff. This is from last summer, a few months before old age caught up with him at roughly 15 years of age.

u2amu3y6.jpg

From Karen! Topknots

Here's Ki
Ki1-1.jpg

And, Farley loves his brother so ooo much
KiFarley-1.jpg

Sorry, I'm too distracted looking at that gorgeous face to see a topknot!!

Thank you so much!! I tried to find a photo that his topknot was thinned and flat so you could see the curve from the eyes to the top of head at ears....it was hard for me to try to explain it in writing. I also clip my cockers as I have had a couple of bad experiences with them going away for the day and also to help save money.

I love all these beautiful cockers sporting their cuts on this thread! :D

Bennett Boyz Contribution

We had our baths today...

Pepper
Pep3.jpg
Pep2.jpg

Pogo
Pogs2.jpg
Pogs1.jpg

Stormy!
Goob2.jpg
Goob1.jpg

Polly...what beautiful and sweet boys you have and so cute in their matching bandanas. I bet your weather is beautiful and warm out there...it is so cold and we are due snow tonight here in Tn. so I will have to hold off on baths till warmer.
I love the name POGO that would have been a perfect name for Levi...lol I joke and call him Tigger sometimes...cause "Tiggers like to bounce"

Polly...what beautiful and sweet boys you have and so cute in their matching bandanas. I bet your weather is beautiful and warm out there...it is so cold and we are due snow tonight here in Tn. so I will have to hold off on baths till warmer.
I love the name POGO that would have been a perfect name for Levi...lol I joke and call him Tigger sometimes...cause "Tiggers like to bounce"
Kathy it was about 70 here yesterday. We are at a higher elevation so it's about 10 degrees cooler than down in the city. Yes, Pogo used to drive us crazy LOL.. he's sure settled down now. But he's the youngest we have ever had, we rescued him when he was about 6 months old. He's a great boy. They all are.

HA HA Kathy - "Tiggers like to Bounce"....As Robin clearly told me, Audra is a Jumping Jelly Bean...ha ha!!!!!

Well I didn't see this post before I did Audra's trim...used the videos and Robin's explaination as best I could...Audra's top knot is much like Levi's so I don't feel so funny about it now...I think it could be more "round" at the back but I was freaking out about the eyes and if I even did it right...LOL Audi has some major eye lashes....as daddy says "FANCY Lady eye lashes"

After you do it a few times it will become second nature Heather....don't worry if you mess them up as they really grow fast. I have had to completely shave topknots off before as one jump from a lively cocker can gap them quickly. You will find the angle you hold your clippers can help in blending them in good along with a good pair of thinners. I always start with the head and ears first when my Cocker is not so over the grooming process...once I have the head,ears and throat finished the rest is easy. Watch for all the little folds on the ears, the throat area (hold the head up high to help straighten the skin) and behind the front legs if shaving completely down...these are the easiest places to nick.
After shaving cats you will be a Cocker pro groomer in no time at all:wub:

Back