Hoshi's Haircut: Feedback Please

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Here are pictures of Hoshi's haircut. Give me lots of feedback--I won't ban you. :p I trimmed Hoshi's face, ears, chest, paws, and back. I didn't touch the legs except for trimming his heels so they wouldn't track in so much mud. I'll be honest, I was unsure how to use the thinning shears on his back. I tried to comb up his hair then trim the excess underneath--except I didn't do that. The comb I had was 12" and difficult to use. Hoshi wouldn't hold still. I ended up using my fingers and randomly cutting.

Really, I wanted to shave him down like Gabby but the wife wont' let me. I wanted to see him without a topknot: The missus was displeased. :( She's supposed to be grooming him and taking pointers from Gina. I'll buy a smaller comb and make another attempt on doing his back next time.

Click to enlarge
The face is rough. Hoshi was loosing his patience and I didn't finish completely.

I know absolutely nothing about grooming, but he sure looks darn cute to me!!!!

For the back, if you want to maintain a natural coat, buy an Oster Coat Rake (Medium) and use that sort of like a comb on the back. If you're going to use thinning shears, do NOT cut from underneath . . . cut from above, for more natural lines. Also, cut with the direction of hair growth.

Not sure if you did anything with his body/legs or not? They look fairly natural for a puppy Hoshi's age to me.

The face needs finishing trimming, but otherwise looks good. Personally, I prefer a topknot, but that's a personal choice.

Thanks for the suggestion/comments. I should have used a stripping knife on the back.

Kelly, I'll know not to cut from underneath next time. That hair around Hoshi's belly makes him look fat which he isn't. I was trying to thin it out. I didn't touch the legs.

I use thinning shears under the fur sometimes to remove some bulk from thigh area, or chest maybe -- sometimes, depends on the dog, or I use a Mars coat king UNDER the top layer so it lays nice,

but as a rule, I just strip or coat king top back and sometimes into the sides to make it look smoother.

You are doing ok Manuel. Little choppy on the legs, but he looks like he has that kind of fur that might be hard for the regular sort of person to groom.

He's so adorable

Manuel, from someone who just groomed her puppy for the 2nd time last Saturday, I think Hoshi looks great! Trying to get the pup to co-operate is easier said then done sometimes! I hope to post my pics tonight but hubby has been sick and grumpy since the weekend so he hasn't uploaded the pics yet.

Hoshi is so adorable. Are you going to keep him longer? I wouldn't dare try a topknot - they seem to be the hardest to do.

I'd like to keep him long except I don't think it's practical for us--makes for great pictures though. I think the topknot is open to interpretation. ^_^

Brutally honest? He looks better than MY first attempt at Mendi's long coat! :) I do not have the time to maintain a long coat but Merlin's gonna go there if only so I can see his potential with that fur changing from white to brown mid-length. It near looks like you were going for a topknot to me. I like them on other people's dogs but I like my guys' heads sleek. I do use a rake for heavier coats like Mozie but *someone* here warned me about using a stripper when the person using it is not a professional so I have never bought one. It would kill me for sure if I happened to strip some skin you know...

I agree with both Kelly and Linny. He doesn't look half bad.;) You're being brave attempting to clip/ maintain a longer cut yourself. And hey, nothing against Cathy but if she said she wants the longer look, keep her up to her part of the bargain LOL:p I would. When I first started having cockers (back in 1982 was my first) I decided short was good after I wasn't happy with my attempt at a longer cut. Heck, I'm still learning things/tricks to show trims and I got my first showdog (Stormy) in 2003! So don't feel bad Manuel. It takes practice. LOTS AND LOTS of PRACTICE. And PATIENCE. What you can't finish one day, do another, but always end on a positive note for the dog.

Thanks everyone. I took Hoshi to a groomer down the street and she said "what's a cocker cut?" -_-; Needless to say, she doesn't do stripping. She charges $30.00. That's been the going rate for about 10 years. They looked busy with lots of dogs in the back waiting their turn. I'd rather trim my dogs myself. I used to trim Gabby myself except he started biting. With my mom here, I have someone to help hold him so I can work on him again.

manuel i think that beautiful baby looks great! I have Kelly"s oster stripper, that's what I used when trying to grow my boys backs out. I gave my coat king to my sister for her shelty. To tell you the truth, I perfer shaving their backs and letting the leg feathers grow. It was so easy for me to maintain feet when I learned to trim them using my hand as a cup and holding the fur and the foot in my cupped hand. You are doing very well Manuel. And, I never had to deal with a very young pup, my Pogo was 6 months old.^_^

Wow! I wish I could find a groomer who charged $30. I'm in Ariona and the going rate for Cockers is $45, unless matted. I have just had Domino groomed and am looking to invest in clippers and other supplies to try and groom him myself. Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joyce and Domino

Wow! I wish I could find a groomer who charged $30. I'm in Ariona and the going rate for Cockers is $45, unless matted. I have just had Domino groomed and am looking to invest in clippers and other supplies to try and groom him myself. Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joyce and Domino

Joyce I don't have any suggestions. Maybe someone else does. I'm starting a new post asking for member's favorite equipment.

Back