I want to make a snood :)

Ashleigh J.

Owned by
1 cocker
We had Cocker Spaniels growing up, (my great grandpa was a "show quality hobby breeder" and I helped as a teen) and not until I joined this site had I ever heard of a snood. As my computer has a Redirect virus, I'm still not exactly sure what they're used for... but I know I need one for when Romeo eats! Poor boy gets the tips of his ears all dirty and hard. I have to bathe him enough as it is (crate training and OMG this boy can make a mess!) so I want to make a snood. He's still very tiny, so I'm thinking putting elastic in would be a good thing.... because of my Redirect virus, I can't search for tutorials. Does anyone have a link to a nice, simple, tutorial?
Also, what are the other uses of a snood (if there are any)?

This is why I'm going to spend three years or more before I have my own first litter. The things we learn!

Dotty here on the forum makes and sales beautiful snoods. They are used for eating to keep the ears from falling into the food bowls for us pet owners,snoods and wrapping the ears are used a "lot" when showing to keep the ears and hair smooth,clean,stain free and dry in general till they go into the ring.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have a link but if you were thinking of sewing one I can give you quick directions. Karen could probably give you better ones though as I don't sew. I crochet the ones I make.

Snoods are basically tubes that you slip over their head to keep their ears clean (or to help prevent them from scratching a boo boo). The snood sits about where their collar sits and comes up over their ears to just in front of the ears so that it circles the head from beneath the neck around the top of the head.
I have seen them knitted, crocheted and some of the cutest ones are the simplest - a piece of brightly colored lightweight material sewn into a tube with elastic on both ends.
Now when it comes to the elastic - be sure that you leave enough room that it isn't tight in the least. (elastic around their necks scare me which is why I crochet mine)

Not a pattern but an idea of what they look like. http://www.designerdoggie.net/snood.html

Its been ages since I've made any and I cant find the 'pattern' I used but I found this for you
http://theradioblog.marthastewart.com/2008/08/snoods.html

I think that the dimensions are too large for the avg cocker - I dont like them looking like a balloon I think the ones I've made are r 5 in by 16 in.

basically, you take a rectangle of the fabric of your choice. Measure an elastic around the top of their head and a 2nd one around their neck below where the ears fall. I dont make teh elastic tight or loose just there. then, I sew one end of the elastic about 1/2 in from the top of the long side and the 2nd 1/2 in from the bottom. I pull the elastic to the opposite end, and sew it and then fold over the top/bottom and run a loose seam along the long edge then I sew the 2 short edges together and voila I'm done. Its not as pretty as if you sew the edges first then thread the elastic through but this always frustrates me so I do it this way. fortunately, my dogs dont complain ;)

I've never had a dog object to putting the snoods on. Around here, in order to eat a meal, you need a snood and everyone gets it pretty quick. In a pinch a large scrunchy can be used as well but thats only if your dogs eat super quick b/c I'd worry about blood flow to the ears and making sure its not too tight.

Somewhere, I have a pic of my first cocker Jake in a snood, a long sleeved shirt and socks over his front paws b/c when he ate a marrow bone, he'd hold it w/his paws and get completely filthy. Oddly enough, he didnt mind that getup either.

I'm not sure, but, with a puppy your baby's age, I think Robin would use old socks. I'll ask her to respond. Another thing, you can find snoods all over FB if you want to buy.. or at any dog show, and, even ebay. I have never bought or made mine. A dear friend, Michelle of Bleumoon cockers always has some made for me when I need them.

Yes for puppies use old tube socks until almost full grown as they'll keep growing and you'll need bigger ones intermittently.

I found the Martha Stewart link interesting. Now I simply have to find some vintage seersucker so I can make a snood just like Martha's. :lol:

I kind of winged mine. I held 1/4 in elastic up to the dog's head and stretched it until it would hold up a snood but still be comfortable. I didn't want a snood with lots of excess fabric so I cut the fabric a about three inches wider than the elastic. I figured out how long I wanted it and then added an inch. Sewed the ends of the fabric together, turned under the top and bottom about half and inch and sewed them leaving an opening for the elastic. Threaded it through. I made the bottom elastic a lot looser. Then sewed the opening closed. Voila! A snood.

This is why Maggie needs a snood.....View attachment 7901 not for food. This is a large water dish on our back deck, she soaks her ears and "swabs the deck" leading to drying, brushing and combing.

Oh DJ!
One year, many years ago, I found great stainless kitchen utensils holders at Walmart. I bought 2 for water dishes. They work so well! Just wide enough for a cocker muzzle and nothing else.

I found the Martha Stewart link interesting. Now I simply have to find some vintage seersucker so I can make a snood just like Martha's. :lol:

Well, it wouldnt be Martha if she didnt take a perfectly simple thing and make it complicated. Even funnier, is that afa I remember, she has Chows ... not exactly massive ears flapping there!

DJ you need a spaniel bowl! they come in stainless steel and are narrower at the top than bottom so the ears dont dunk in. - actually, I have some plastic ones collecting dust if you want to pay for shipping you may have them... I dont use plastic b/c one of my dogs was getting acne potentially from plastic bowls.

Thank you guys! I love the sock idea, Husband has some brand new ones too! Don't know why I didn't think of that :D

This is why Maggie needs a snood.....View attachment 7901 not for food. This is a large water dish on our back deck, she soaks her ears and "swabs the deck" leading to drying, brushing and combing.

Oh my goodness, that is so funny! Right now I've been clipping his ears up with one of my daughters ribbon covered hair clips (very gentle), but he only keeps it on for half the meal

DJ you need a spaniel bowl! they come in stainless steel and are narrower at the top than bottom so the ears dont dunk in. - actually, I have some plastic ones collecting dust if you want to pay for shipping you may have them... I dont use plastic b/c one of my dogs was getting acne potentially from plastic bowls.

We have "Watering Hole" bowls in the house for the girls but this bowl is outside and used mostly for my DD's dog who has a bigger muzzle than the girls bowls allow for. As Maggie is losing her eyesight, she seems to use the edge of this bowl for a guide and so seems to get her ears in it more than before. During the summer we fill this bowl with ice cubes and just enough water to cover them....occasionally the ice cubes will stick to their ears and for a brief moment (before the contact melts) they look like they are wearing earrings :)

Back