In the News: Cocker Addicted to Toads

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
This is dated but worth a good chuckle. There's a link on the site to listen to the story as well.

Author: Laura, Mirsch, NPR
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6376594
10/24/2006

A dog may be man's best friend. But one dog, Lady, decided she needed more friends -- and she found plenty in the knot of toads living at the local pond. A suburban family's secret struggle with an uncommon addiction comes to light in this personal essay by NPR's Laura Mirsch.

Lady "was really perky, and happy, and generally excited to see you when you came in the door every day," recalls Andrew Mirsch.

But that was before the Mirsch family moved into a new house.

"We noticed Lady spending an awful lot of time down by the pond in our backyard," Laura Mirsch recalls.

Lady would wander the area, disoriented and withdrawn, soporific and glassy-eyed.

"Then, late one night after I'd put the dogs out, Lady wouldn't come in," Laura Mirsch says. "She finally staggered over to me from the cattails. She looked up at me, leaned her head over and opened her mouth like she was going to throw up, and out plopped this disgusting toad."

It turned out the toads were toxic -- and, if licked, the fluids on their skin provided a hallucinogenic effect.

What followed was the Mirsch family's quest to stop their cocker spaniel from indulging herself. But it wasn't easy. Lady was persistent, and resourceful.

The situation seemed to resolve itself when the toads went into hibernation for the winter.

But when they returned, so did Lady -- and with a vengeance.

"We couldn't keep our dog's addiction a secret any longer," Laura Mirsch says. "The neighbors all knew that Lady was a drug addict, and soon the other dogs weren't allowed to play with her."

In the end, Lady seems to have found a way to manage her problem.

"She seems to have outgrown the wild toad-obsessed years of her youth," Mirsch says, "and now only sucks on weekends."

Attachments

• lady.jpg
    lady.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Oh Manuel too funny! Why didn't they fence their pond?

Funny in an OMG way! Mozart decided to graze on an old bush called "Yesterday Today & Tomorrow". That bush has been here for decades! It's pure toxic and I near lost him a few months ago for his snacking habit. I tore up as much as possible and plasticized the rest until the weather gets warm enough to get out there and do manual labor cause the roots are extensive. Plant keeps trying to come back and I keep cutting it away from him. It was a beautiful bush and there have been soooo many pooches before him who never touched it. Trust Mozart to get into trouble...he gets into everything that could hurt him! We've got Bufo toads here that would kill a pooch in no time and I'm betting Mozart would adore munching on one! :(

I know all about toads. I had a bassett hound that ate a toad when we were on vacation at the family cottage in Mich. It was te 4th of July and Froggy(the bassett) ate a toad. She could barely walk and was foaming at the mouth. We found a vet open and he knew right away what she had done. He induced vomiting and up came the remains of Mr. Toady... He put her on antihistimines and she was fine in no time at all. The vet told us that toads are very toxic. Bubby doesn't seem to bother the few we have in our yard. Peggy & Bubby

The only thing so far Coco has gotten into is a bowl of raisons and chocolate chips my husbands son had left on his bed. I tell ya, I have never seen a dog wired for hours. He didn't sleep till about 5 30 am. My husband and I took turns staying awake with him. He would get into too much if we left him alone.

I just hate the thought.. I'm so glad toads are one thing we don't have up here.

Hope Mike chimes in... he had one (or two) almost die from a toad

Linda, you must be thinking of the mushroom incidents here. Yes, they were bad, and the first one almost killed Benny. He needed a blood transfusion and was in the hospital for 3 days, but he recovered and was fine.

But toads? Yeah.. Have them too in the summer. Several years ago, one of my fosters (TJ) had a toad in his mouth for a few minutes, and he refused to spit it out. He didnt swallow it, and I did manage to pry his mouth open and it fell out. Shortly afterwards, TJ started foaming all over the place and became very lethargic. Naturally, this was happening about 5 minutes before I had to leave for work. Put him in the car and headed to the E-vet, but while in route, he perked up and seemed fine, so turned around and came home and just kept an eye on him. He was fine.
Sigh.... Kids.

Yeah, I knew your mushrooms were poisonous but thought there was a toad incident too. YEP, TJ -- he got more than one I think. I think another one of yours got foamy from a toady.

Linda, you must be thinking of the mushroom incidents here. Yes, they were bad, and the first one almost killed Benny. He needed a blood transfusion and was in the hospital for 3 days, but he recovered and was fine.

That's terrible. I'm glad everything turned out okay.

How terrible Mike.. and mushrooms or toad stools are so dangerous.. in fact lots of plants are dangerous to our doggies..

Back