In the News: Let us praise old dogs

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Mr. Petrow reflects on the life of his happy-go-lucky 14yr old cocker spaniel.

Author: Steven Petrow
http://www.chapelhillnews.com/news/story/46187.html
3/15/2009

We were watching Brian Williams on NBC when he teased the next story: "10-Year-Old Spaniel Makes Comeback."

Of course, he was referring to Stump, the Sussex spaniel who had just won Best in Show at the Westminster Kennel Club Show. Not only was Stump the oldest dog to win in the 133-year history of the event, but the pooch had almost died five years ago. I immediately called out to Max, our 14-year-old cocker spaniel, to come watch with us. I'd forgotten that the old fellow is deaf and by 6:45 had already turned in for the night. Yes, let sleeping dogs lie.

Max has had more than his share of calamities, but we loved him from the very beginning, with his hanging tongue, wagging tail and carefree swagger. A rescue in the most literal sense. His owners had called in a fit: "If you don't take him, we're putting him down." Under the circumstances, how could we not?

Within the first year reborn with us, he -- ever the scavenger -- had scaled three shelves in the pantry to retrieve the 1-pound cellophane-wrapped box of See's chocolates, devouring them in minutes. I got home to find him in toxic shock, and after $1,000 worth of emergency treatment (including induced-vomiting and charcoal suppositories), he survived yet another day. Finally, well enough to come home, his clipped tail wagged happily as he rushed to the trashcan to pull out the empty box of chocolate to see if anything remained. It's fair to say he's no genius.

While on a walk in San Francisco a few months later, Max scarfed a tab or two of LSD he found in a neighborhood park. That led to new seizures and another costly vet stay. Let's not talk about canine flashbacks!

From day one with us, Max lived with enthusiasm. But having survived his youth, he's an old dog now, plagued by arthritis, some cervical issues, occasional incontinence, and a "touch" of dementia. But while I loved him as a pup, I find that old Max fills my heart in ways I couldn't have imagined. These days we carry him upstairs to his bed. On alternate weeks, we run over to the vet for his acupuncture, and we both lie there in the dark as he takes the needles and lets his chi run wild while I stroke his "third eye." He's never out of sorts -- in fact, he's always happy. Happy to go out, happy to come in. Ready for dinner. Ready for a nap.

We don't value old in this culture. It's all about youth, new fashion, cutting-edge technology. My friend, the good doctor Andrew Weil, wrote about aging in a recent book: "Aging can bring frailty and suffering, but it can also bring depth and richness of experience, complexity of being, serenity, wisdom, and its own kind of power and grace." How sad that we give short shrift to the elderly, pushing them out of sight while we try to place them out of mind.

Who made "old" a dirty word? We all did.

In dog years, Max is about to turn 100. We know that his time -- like all of our lives -- is limited. But he doesn't know that. Maybe if he were a genius he would, but for now I love watching him live every day with the same kind of spirit he's always had, tail wagging, nose twitching, and yes, tongue ever on the lookout for a new treat. If he could speak, no doubt it would be, "What will today bring?!"

Like Stump, the Westminster winner, Max is a champ. Let us now praise old dogs!

Oh Manuel..
Pass the tissue. What a wonderful story. Max reminds me of so many of my oldies but goodies.. currently Tunie.. but I will never forget Pook or even Pak. They were mine and boy did I love them.

Oh Manuel, how sweet it is to have known and loved many an old Cocker.:)

Thank you for this story.

What a great story Manuel. My old dog Star is completely blind an deaf, her eyes look horrid and scary to others but to me she is still my sweet, beautiful girl. Thank you for the story. ps I cheered my fool head off for Stump! That was so cool to be here! :)

Great thoughts for the elders for sure! I have had my share from Mendi and her fight with autoimmune disease which led to doggie dementia and didees to Maxwell and all his problems and didees to my current crop of a huge mix of the young and the very senior. Coco (formerly Cody) has such a will to live and one HUGE appetite! Basically any dog that screams in my head at night to please come get me! Seriously had sleepless nights until I went to pick up this elder. He was going to be PTS by the family when his human pappa went in a nursing home. He was near dead when I quieted those voices in my head and went to get him from rescue. Little old cranky dude has been with me for almost a year. July 5th - not quite freedom day but on track! Hey...seniors can be slow you know! So a day late...what matters is he got a ride home and is now spolt rotten!

I just wonder if I took the Humane Society's personality profile, exactly where would I fit? I adore Mozie at 4.5, Monte is my heart at maybe 5 or 6, Charlie we're still working on at maybe 10, but I am willing and very able/happy to dote on one 13.5 year old, Coco, and love to watch his progress and treasure our time together privately at night before his bedtime, massaging his antique hips and getting the occasional multitude of kisses!

I love the elders -- great story!!!!

Well, I love da-pups too. Heck I love them all, even the naughty peckerheads

An e-mail has been going around about “Things We Should Keep” and one of the things mentioned was "old dogs with bad hips." I've had this e-mail forwarded to me several times and I read it each time.

I haven't had much luck with my cockers reaching old age. The oldest cocker I had was my Patches and he went to the Bridge the day after his 13th birthday.

Old dogs, puppies, dogs with problems, I love them all.

An e-mail has been going around about “Things We Should Keep” and one of the things mentioned was "old dogs with bad hips." I've had this e-mail forwarded to me several times and I read it each time.

I haven't had much luck with my cockers reaching old age. The oldest cocker I had was my Patches and he went to the Bridge the day after his 13th birthday.

Old dogs, puppies, dogs with problems, I love them all.

Carol the oldest we ever had was our Pookie, she lived to be around 19 we think. We lost her on March 21, 2008.

Our first dog was Skipper, a collie/shepard mix. We got him when dd Barbara was about 6 months old, and she was 19 when he died. So he was 19 too. When I moved to my present home, I gave her his ashes. She has them on her dresser, and when I visited her in SC in November, I saw the urn. Felt sad (I picked it up and hugged it) but also I was pleased that it means that much to Barb that she still has the urn in sight after 24 years.

Judy

Judy

Aww Judy
What a wonderful story. Skipper was well loved. As are all our bridge kids.

I have a special place in my heart for old dogs . . . those grey muzzles catch my heart every time.

My Pepper used to be a brightly marked black & tan, now his muzzle is turning grey. But, he's still my little beautiful boy.

Riley's dark brown eyebrows are now more of a gloden brown and his ears are growing gray but he's still the Roo!

Back