Licking paws, skin is reddened

davec921

Owned by
1 cocker
HI all.
I normally browse the boards once a day.
But today I have a question.
I have noticed lately that tabby has been using her teeth to scrath between her toes every now an then. I did not think much of it till it rally anowed me one night an I flipped the lights on to take a look.

The skin is reddish an most of the hair is gone in that spot.
All so the hair that is there is kinda gunked up.
It does not smell funny or anything.
An she is not limping or anything.
Just every now an then she just starts to itch or gnaw if you will between her toes..
Going to call a vet this week an talk to them.

Just wondered if you had any ideas on it.
It is coming in to winter an my house is a dry house.
IE All electric heat.
I do use a humidifier in my bed room at night.
later an thanks in advance.
DAVE

Hi Dave. Based on our past experiences it could be several things. First possibility is allergies. If it's just started, it could be seasonal allergies, especially if you've recently cut the grass. Some dogs chew and lick their feet when they get wet too. Ask your vet if its ok to give Tabby a daily Benadryl.

The other thing it may be is an accumulation of oil between the toes at the base of the toenails. Prince used to drive me insane with foot chewing, and the vet once pulled the hair back from between his toes and showed me. It was so thick he could scrape it off. He said cockers have one of the highest concentration of sebaceous oil glands per square inch of their body than any dog. Allergies can exasperate it.

If she's scratching more than normal you may want to try giving her a bath with some type of hypoallergenic shampoo too. Good luck, Bailey is going through the same thing right now.

Hi Dave. I moved your post so it would be easier to see. There's so many things that might cause her licking. I would guess there's some source of irritation. It could be anything. :unsure: You could try rinsing her foot in water and see if that helps. Your vet will have a better idea when he checks her out.

sounds like an allergy - leaves, pollen, anything, even food.

I would wipe her feet after she comes in, you can even use baby wipes.

Trim the fur back so you can see it better and clean it better.

When mine get going at allergy time, the entire bed shakes and it makes me mental.

Newbie here but I just have a clairification question. Is it all her feet or just one? I've run into the oil issue, which was on all feet. And the allgery problem, which was accompanied with watery eye.
If she had an owie and she's been licking or fussing with it because of that, it would be only one foot.
Just wondering.

She will lick both of her front feet.
But its only red an gunky on her left front and then only between the two toes.

The extra oil things makes scene since it was gunky in between.
I all ready keep her paws trimmed short.
I take her out in the wood so I keep it short between her toes an pads so as to to inspect for thorns an burs. An to keep it from getting matted from mud.

Thanks for the help still going to call the vet on friday an set something up for next week.
later
DAVE

Hi Dave,

My Bailey has that issue quite frequently. He has allergies, and has been on medication. I would definitely reccommend talking to your vet. Ours has us using Malaseb shampoo between his tootsies. I took him to a different vet last year to get a second opinion and this vet recommended using a mixture of half distilled white vinegar and half water and soaking his feet in it for about 30 seconds to kill whatever bacteria was growing in there. I was keeping the hair cut between his toes, but as of lately (knock on wood) he hasn't been chewing as much.. I took Mikes suggestion and switched foods. He has been eating Natural Balance Duck and Potato and although he isn't thrilled with it, it has helped his itching and chewing. So much so that he hasn't been on the Temaril-P since the end of July... ::::Knock on wood again::::

Good luck with the feet! They can be a pain!

Dave, its possible that it could be just seasonal allergies. My guys have been licking and scratching more than normal around here too. My foster Peaches especially... She's at her back feet all the time too. I soak her toes in a 50-50 mix of listerine and warm water for a few minutes and it seems to relieve is somewhat. Giving a 25 mg. benadryl may help too.
Hoping this all stops once we get a good frost.
Keep us posted on what your vet says.

Hoping this all stops once we get a good frost.

You and me both Mike. Bailey has been scratching and chewing like crazy lately, even doing some sneezing. Got him on the Benadryl but like you I'm just waiting for the frost to hit.

Back