Looking for good clippers

navyflygirl

Owned by
1 cocker
Aaron and I are looking for a new set of clippers for Lulu. He has an old Andis that does not have replaceable blades, and it no longer is able to get the job done with Lulu. He has been looking at the newer models with replaceable blades, but I figured since there are so many professional groomers on the forum that I'd toss it out and see what people's opinions are. We are looking for something that is durable and will last a while, has replaceable blades, and isn't going to break the bank. Thanks!

I'm sure of someone else will chime in. The cheaper clippers you might find in a department store will work but they're not the best for grooming a long coat dog. I used human clippers on my first cocker spaniel. It's a slow go. Grooming clippers may be more expensive but they are worth it because they save you time. They won't bog down cutting through a thick coat. I'm using Oster A5s which have worked well for me. They are a bit heavy and awkward working around the eyes. Don't forget blade oil and blade wash. I didn't start using blade wash until reading our forum. Blade wash is much faster and easier than using a brush.

Meredith, I also have the Oster Golden A5s. But, when they wear out, I will more than likely go with Andis. I'm sure that Kelly and Robin will
also have feedback for you.

I recommend the Andis AGC clippers - they're a bit lighter and they don't get too hot. Some use the two speed version, but for most home groomers a single speed is sufficient. Then I recommend a #10 and a #7 blade. The 10 for the face and ears and the 7 for the body and the back.

Not a professional groomer by any stretch of the imagination :) but I LOVE the Andis 2 speed! I have had mine for over two years and they are awesome. I have blades 10, 7, 4 and 3-3/4. Take the advice of the pros about what blades to use when and for what.

It's a good time of year to watch for sales - you may even be able to pick up something on Ebay. Groomers.com is a good place to check for all the goodies available and they sometimes have good sales.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Kelly, Aaron has been looking at the Andis clippers this evening (I've never groomed a dog so I wouldn't know the first thing), and he really likes them. I guess his big concern was if he'd be short-changing himself by getting the single speed, but I will pass along what you said. Another question that he raised - what is the difference between ceramic and steel blades, and do you recommend one over the other? The last question he hash, should we get the FC or regular blades? Thanks a bunch!

I use the F blades (finishing) on the back, I use either a 5F or 7F. I perfer the steel blades, but, lots use the ceramic. I have 3 osters and change off so heat is not a problem for me.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Kelly, Aaron has been looking at the Andis clippers this evening (I've never groomed a dog so I wouldn't know the first thing), and he really likes them. I guess his big concern was if he'd be short-changing himself by getting the single speed, but I will pass along what you said. Another question that he raised - what is the difference between ceramic and steel blades, and do you recommend one over the other? The last question he hash, should we get the FC or regular blades? Thanks a bunch!

The ceramic blades are more expensive but stay sharp longer. Considering blades are not easy to have sharpened you might want to buy the ceramic. I'm not sure what "FC" Stands for.

Cool, that's kind of what we were thinking with the ceramic blades. FC apparently stands for Finished Cut, and leaves a smoother finish than the regular blades.

I HATE the ceramic. They can't be resharpened and when become dull, the ceramic portion has to be replaced. I get the ss. I also don't recommend you getting skip tooth blades as they are very easy to cut your dog and hurt them. Yes, FC stands for finish cut and leave it a lot smoother.

Last edited:
I found that the ceramic didn't stay sharp as long Manuel. I don't have my blades re-sharpened. I just replace them. I can use a ss one for several years. I also use the oster coolblade after I clean my blades. It has enough oil in it to keep them lubed but not dirty IMHO.. and, I'm not a pro like Robin or Kelly is either.

I HATE the ceramic. They can't be resharpened and when become dull, the ceramic portion has to be replaced. I get the ss. I also don't recommend you getting skip tooth blades as they are very easy to cut your dog and hurt them. Yes, FC stands for finish cut and leave it a lot smoother.

I'm not sure what sharpener you use, but ceramic blades can be resharpened. Not every sharpener knows how to do it, though. Personally I do not Like ceramic blades and feel my steels get a smoother cut. I use ceramics for reverse cutting though. I would never use a reverse cut unless you are a professional.

In terms of clippers, I find that andis agc or even ag (square body rather than cylinder style) are the most affordable for home grooming. I use a wahl storm-II in my salon, but they are bit high powered for amateurs.

I won't get into blade coolant sprays other than to say that I never ever ever use them on my blades. It's a huge debate in the grooming world, and I am firmly on the side that says they are detrimental to blade health.

And if you are clipping the back, a longer blade like a 4 will make blending into the skirt easier.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.537708,-81.148842

I'm not sure what sharpener you use, but ceramic blades can be resharpened. Not every sharpener knows how to do it, though. Personally I do not Like ceramic blades and feel my steels get a smoother cut. I use ceramics for reverse cutting though. I would never use a reverse cut unless you are a professional. [/url]

Well, every sharpener I've talked to say they can't be resharpened and must be replaced and that's why they are more expensive to do. I've been to dog shows in quite a few states and they've all said the same.
Yes, SS does give a smoother cut. Two things the ceramics are good for are #1 staying sharper longer and #2 stay cool longer.
Being a professional, I WILL NEVER EVER do a reverse cut on a groom dog. Causes skin issues too easily. Especially clogged pores. It pushes the hair shafts into the pores no matter how careful you are.

Well, every sharpener I've talked to say they can't be resharpened and must be replaced and that's why they are more expensive to do. I've been to dog shows in quite a few states and they've all said the same.
Yes, SS does give a smoother cut. Two things the ceramics are good for are #1 staying sharper longer and #2 stay cool longer.
Being a professional, I WILL NEVER EVER do a reverse cut on a groom dog. Causes skin issues too easily. Especially clogged pores. It pushes the hair shafts into the pores no matter how careful you are.

Send them off to jeff at northern tails sharpening. He does my 7 ceramic and my 5 ceramic no problem.

And the only breed I see problems with on reverse cuts is schnauzers and most terriers. However, I don't ever hear of skin problems from clogged pores because all the terriers and schnauzers I do get carded out and at least some stripping to clear the follicles.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.537592,-81.148957

Back