lump on back

kady1

Owned by
1 cocker
I have a 12 year old cocker that I inherited when she was 7 years old. She still acts like a puppy. She developed a lump on the top of her back about 6 months after I got her. Vet says it was a fat deposit not to worry. The "Fat Deposit" got to the size of a golf ball, but does not bother her even now which 1 week ago it started to drain. The fluid is brown in color (like soy sauce), has no odor. It is now half the size, and not draining as much. She is on antibotics to be on the safe side. She does have warts all over her and at the moment chewing on one. My question is what is the fluid? I failed to mention she does smell --- in general. I have her groomed every 5 weeks and I bath her, when I can't stand it anymore in between grooming. Two years ago I had to have 2 tits removed and at the same time got her spayed. Last year I had to have this finger like thing removed from her neck, it was just there one day and would not stop bleeding. I don't know if I am doing the right thing by her. She is just a love, she shows no signs of pain. She is lumpy, smelly and now this lump is draining. She is on antibotics even though vet doesn't see infection. I seem to be more concerned her than the vet is. At this point I am frustrated. Has anyone experienced what I am experiencing? If so, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kady
Welcome to our little group here. I'm sorry you are having such problems with your little girl. Linny, Robin, Kelly and Manuel will have more to say on her problems, they are our SME's around here. Anita also had a cocker who had bad skin... they will help you I'm sure. Welcome!

There are many types of skin tumors in dogs. I was overwhelmed by the amount of material out there. :wacko: OncoLink has a good list of tumors found in dogs. Is the "lump" on top of the skin or deep under the skin? If the lump is on the skin, my best guess is it's a sebaceous tumor. I say this because these types of tumors are prevalent in English and American cocker spaniels. These tumors are usually benign, increase with age, occur around the head, neck and legs. They're also wide at the base, hairless, and easily become open sores.

Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences said:
Sebaceous gland tumors are seen in all domestic animals but are more common in older dogs and cats (1-4). They are the most common epithelial skin tumors and may be observed in the skin anywhere on the body in dogs.

You say that it's oozing "soy sauce" color fluid? This is probably serous fluid mixed with blood which is normal. If you ever had a bad scrape that's scabbing over you've seen it before. Your vet already has her on antibiotics to make sure it doesn't become infected. If your vet says it's a fatty tumor and it's the size of a golf ball then it's probably below the skin. If it's protruding that much and causing problems then it should probably be removed if possible.

I hope your cocker heals up soon and wish her the best. :luv:

References:
Sebaceous Gland Tumors - OncoLink

Sebaceous Gland Adenoma in a Dog (case study cocker spaniel)

Adipose Tissue Tumors (fatty tumors) - Merck Veterinary Manual

Great info Manuel! I agree with what you've provided.
Welcome Kady!Sorry you're having to deal with this problem but it is sometimes part of having a cocker spaniel, espoecially an older one. :vsad:

Welcome Kady! Manuel has given you excellent advice and information . . . I tend to agree that it's probably a sebacious cyst or growth, but that's just a guess, without seeing it. It sounds like your vet is being responsible by using antibiotics to prevent possible infection.

As for her smell, it could be either yeast (which is VERY common in Cockers) or it could be seborrhea. You may want to try putting her on a grain-free diet to see if that helps with the smell. There are lots of good ones out there, including Taste of the Wild, Wellness Core, Innova Evo and more.

The big thing is a lipoma, fatty tumor. Sometimes they can grow very large and invade muscle, depending on where they are.

The other things sound like sebacious cysts, that are like a little volcano, it's basically an infected sweat gland. It's icky when it oozes. It's like a giant zit.

Most times, it will dry up and crust over and occasionally get infected again, or become inflammed when she's groomed. I like to use Neo-predif powder (from vet) on those things. It helps to dry it up and also helps to heal them.

Normally they are not something to worry about, older dogs do get them.

It's more of an annoyance than anything. Your vet probably doesn't seem too concerned because it's not a cancerous thing, and is rather common.

She sounds like a good little girl. As far as the yeasty smell, it could be thyroid. Cockers are very prone to hypothyroid. Skin & fur might feel greasy after petting her and can cause a smell.

Kady thank you

Thank you, Thank you all with the caring you gave me for Kady. She goes in this Monday for removal of the lump. It is not draining that much any more. You gave me lots of information, I have changed her dog food to see if that helps with the smelly she gives off. I feel kinda stupid on this one. I have another dog who was having issues with the dog food and was itching and licking to the point where he was just worn out from it all. I didn't know what the problem was, and it was suggested it could be the food. I changed his food and the uncontrollable itching and licking stopped within a few days. And now Kady who was eating the same food has an odor that has been going on, kinda building up. I would always get the answer, "cockers do have issues sometimes and smell is one of them". So I am encouraged now that by changing her food, that could be the remedy. Thank you again for all your caring words and the education you gave me. I really appreciate it and I am not as worried as I was before.

You said your baby is a bit older but you might want to try giving her food without any corn products/by-product. My girl was on pedigree when I got her and she had a musky/finky odor to her days after bathing after talking to someone at Petco they mentioned Cockers are prone to food allergies and I slowly switched her to a lamb and rice formula without any corn product and now people dont mention her smelling anymore. As for the fatty tumor my parents had a springer when I was growing up and he developed many fatty tumors and the vet told us to keep an eye on them and if the dog takes notice or starts licking them to bring him in and have them removed.

here is another great link on lumps on dogs: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1593&aid=424

Back