Maintenance after Grooming

Heather,

I have the No. 1 All Systems Pet Pin Brush but I have the Chris Christensen combs and slicker brushes and I really love them.

I'm so glad I am not the only one that showers with the dog...LOL The looks when someone hears that! GAST! :eek: But we have shower doors and I cannot get between the tolet and the tub and bend over to reach the water and hose -- so much less back breaking to just jump in. I did bath Audra once in the kitchen sink -- yeah, I didn't feel I got her rinsed well at all! So back to showers!

Well, the person you taught me that trick was my psychiatrist. So make of that what you will!

I may just treat myself and Cordelia to a new pin brush... Without the tips.

Thank you Karen!!
I will pull one of mine out,I have a kit full of pin brushes and combs,some I have had for many many years....the brush I use is my favorite for Levi and I just love it. It just feels right and so easy to use on him...lol I have some really nice brushes,scissors and combs but always use the same ones when I groom him so I have many that just sit in the case. Not noticed much hair lost from using it with Levi,but I do use a lot of spray when brushing, some areas almost wet before I brush. I do understand why your groomer suggest the pin brush without tips as they get caught in the slightest of tangle and pull it all out. I will check this out on his coat and compare and really appreciate the tips. Levi's coat is a little different than most Cockers I have owned as his hair is so soft and fine and feels like cotton,I have been really lucky so far as it does not tangle easy at all. Course that could all change when the baby hair is gone. I do really small sections and go all the way down to the leg so I really like knowing I am not scratching his skin. I also shave his tummy and inside ears every couple of weeks at bath time so I also have to be careful when bushing close to those areas not to scratch that sensitive skin. I cut as much hair off as I can with giving the illusion of a longer coat,I know its cheating,but it sure makes life a lot easier for me...lol

I bathe mine in the laundry room. I have a nice deep sink in there with a faucet that will pull out. Mine are ok with bathing. Though they might hide when I am putting my apron on. They are good though, will stand there and let me do anything to them. I use pet silk, and have been using there product for about 18 years. I do bathe weekly have been for a long time. Yes a clean coat gets very little mats. I recently bought a serum from Rockin Paws. The person that came up with it was there and asked me if I would try it on my cockers, she gave me some Show stopper. I have to say I like it. I put a little on when the coats are wet and then blow dry. Keeps their coats nice, shiny and mat free. Of course I do brush daily but still get mats sometimes. I love my greyhound pin brush and my universal slicker. I have tried #1 all systems pin brush but it did not hold up well. At least for me. My handler likes plush puppies pin brush, that one holds up well and is less expensive than greyhound.

I think the thing to do is find the products that work for you. Not all products work for all people or on all dogs. If someone is really crazy about a product and strongly recommend it, I will give it a try. It's always good to try something new.

***raises hand*** I need one of those "showers with dogs" shirts too. ;)

I have an old bathing seat for the elderly that I keep in the one bathroom that has a walk in shower. I cover it with a towel (so they don't slip) and stand them on it to bathe. It works wonderful! A little taller would be great - but better than nothing.

My problem with Levi is keeping him out of the Shower...lol So I may have to look into one of those seats Dotty,it would be lots easier on the back than the tub is!

Last edited:
I love Dot's shower chair! I 'll sit in it myself, much easier on the back!

HA HA! Yeah those of us that shower with the dog -- I swear people think I am nuts (they don't bath their dogs themselves). I'm a little annal about the critters being clean. The cats is a have to in my opinion. You let up on baths and OH MY -- they "forget". Audra doesn't like the bath but she does ok. Jersey and Apollo are so easy...I usually bath them about every 3 weeks...especially in the summer for Jersey...skin allergies.

As for Chris Christensen Karen, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 4 inch butter comb! A cat with a heavy coat...that comb is a God-send! I am going to have to get another tho cause either I left it behind at our last show or someone took it. Not sure which but I have turned my house upside down looking for it! Wanted to try it on Audra now that her skirt is growing.

Hey - I want one of those shirts too....then we can be our own little "Bath with Dogs" club. LOL

Back