Merle cockers

DotInFlorida

Owned by
2 cockers
I may be opening up a can of worms here and if that is the case I apologize.

I have read on other forums that merle cockers can have health and behavior issues that other cockers don't. Since Ellie is a merle I would like to get as much information as possible.

Is there anyone here on the forum that has first hand experience and knowledge of merles?

Thank you for all your help!

I believe Ellie's a sable not a merle. Rescue has two Merles - Snickers and Pretty Freckles. Didn't know myself until one of the rescue ladies pointed it out. Freckles has odd eyes so I thought he had some eye problem going on but that's just the merle in him. I'm sure someone else could tell you more specifically than I could!

Last edited:
From the pictures I've seen of Ellie, she's a sable, not a merle.

I wouldn't necessarily say that merle Cockers have health issues or behaviour issues . . . it's just that it's much harder to find a WELL-bred merle Cocker, because most responsible breeders avoid them. And breeding merle to merle can open a whole can of worms with regards to health, so that's probably the health issues you've heard about.

Dot
There is a merle list on yahoo if you are so inclined. ^_^

First - thank you. Second - I'm an idiot. :p

Yes she is sable - not merle. Don't know what I was thinking. She has had "issues" lately and I guess I was looking for something to blame it on.

Can this thread just be deleted and taken off the forum? I feel sooooo stupid right now.

IT'S OK, lots of people get the two confused.

Sable usually has black tips -- merle's are born with actual skin/matching hair freckles sort of

and if you breed two merles together, it's a nightmare.

You're not stupid! Goodness! I've asked much more foolish questions than that . . .

And blame her goofy weather on your extremely hot and humid weather. That would certainly make me stupid!

Back