Mini cocker spaniel

jefftx

Does anyone have some information on mini Cockers? There is limited information online and not that many breeders.

Jeff, there is no such thing as a mini Cocker Spaniel. The breed has a standard that states that boys should be between 14.5"-15.5" and girls should be 13.5"-14.5" tall. The ideal weight is typically around 23 pounds, although it varies by body type.

There are certainly smaller Cockers out there, but breeders marketing "mini Cocker Spaniels" are probably just out to make a quick buck.

Jeff, there is no such thing as a mini Cocker Spaniel. The breed has a standard that states that boys should be between 14.5"-15.5" and girls should be 13.5"-14.5" tall. The ideal weight is typically around 23 pounds, although it varies by body type.

There are certainly smaller Cockers out there, but breeders marketing "mini Cocker Spaniels" are probably just out to make a quick buck.

I need to get mine bigger...they are tooo small

Well, as you know, weight can really vary . . . but the heights are in the standard. And up here, it's really, really tough to finish a dog that's on the small side.

Just curious, is the height measured to the back/shoulders or top of the head?

mini-cockers huh? well, I had a joke about that but I don't think it's 'family friendly enough for this board'.

Teacup, mini, etc is all just a way of marketing dogs that don't meet the standard. Now of course, not all dogs will meet the standard anyhow, but then you run in to trouble with liver issues and kidneys being too small and heart problems.

I have a mini cocker. Her name is Petunia. My vet said she is more than likely the product of breeding runt to runt. She is totally blind, and may very well end up with kidney problems. I got her from the local pound when no one else wanted her. She was tossed when she no longer was useful to her breeder.

My husband and I have had Petunia since Augues 6, 2003, and, we will love her for the rest of her life.

All I can say is, please be wise in your choices. Please support a responsible breeder who takes pride in the breed standard. We have several right here on our forum.

I see "rare chocolate" cocker spaniels in the paper all the time. Betcha my Merlin was advertised as a Rare Parti-colored Mini Cocker Spaniel. He is tiny but more a liver color than chocolate. Still plenty of "rare" chocolates in rescue here. That's where I got Merlin! Someone actually paid near $1K for my little boy and then gave him up after not quite a year. He became mine 5/02/09 for a donation of $200. I coulda got him for free cause I volunteer for rescue many times per year but I wanted to make him verry officially nothing but mine! Rescue can give you such goodly deals on "leftover" pooches. If you don't plan to breed or show in the majors do check out a rescue...please.

Does anyone have some information on mini Cockers? There is limited information online and not that many breeders.

No such thing as a mini cocker. Anyone pretending to be a breeder of this so called "mini" is someone who will surely breed nothing but heartache.. and at your expense... and yes, one way or the other, it WILL be expensive..
PLEASE dont fall for it!

Gee by the standards listed maybe mine could be designer 'mutant cockers'. They sure aren't tiny. The 'lightest' one is 23 lbs.

Personally I like them on the bigger side. I've had a few fosters that are in the tiny standards and they are cute - by all means - but I'm more partial to the 30 lb. range.

Well actually - if it's a cocker I love it - doesn't matter. :)

Back