Need advice on weight of cocker spaniel

Oh, he's a handsome guy. I like blocky heads.

But that amt of weight in a year sounds like alot. Its more than 10% of his previous weight. I'd definitely cut back on the food/treats and up the exercise. If he's starving, then add greenbeans or other high fiber veggies to his meals. And definitely offer fruits/veggies as treats. If you offer them in an upbeat manner 'Ohh do you want a cookie?' they'll often gobble it up happily.

I used to train for competitive obedience using all sorts of foods including peas, carrots, and cherry tomatoes.

Yes the green beans work very well. I used that for another cocker that I had. I would cook green beans and carrots for Carter, he got that along with cutting back on the food, worked very well. Veggies do work well as treats. Yes increase his exercise. Good luck.

If you need to cut back on food, you can substitute no salt green beans for the missing food. They have very few calories but lots of volume and nutrition too. I've also steamed fresh green beans for the dog also, but I'm a little crazy. Baby carrots or apple slices work for treats. Mine even love ice cubes but I think they might be a little crazy also.

Lol...this is too funny Karen :lol:
Levi also loves ice cubes...they are one of his favorite treats,he slides them through the kitchen and down the hall like they are a hockey puck...he even slides into walls chasing them. I need to go ahead and add him to the little bit crazy list also...lol

Chris...I have 50 foot training leads,you can buy them at pet stores..I use them when we take Levi on outings and he can run and play while I pretty much stand still...lol
I don't know if you have a fenced yard where Cooper can just let go and run but if not these leads are good for exercising dogs,letting them hunt in the fields as well as training. I do wear gloves while using them as they can pull the lead through your hands pretty hard sometimes while running.

Last edited:
Kathy,
My Carter used to love ice cubes as well. He would chase the ice cube around the kitchen. He had one stuffed ring he would take the ice cube to the ring and put in the center. Then he would lay there licking and chewing it. He came up with this on his own. He was funny to watch.

Just an update! Cooper loves cooked carrots. I've substituted those for most of his treats and he loves them. Of course, I think he will eat just about anything!

Hi, I adopted Teddy last fall and he came from Texas to MN at 34 pounds. He is a bigger guy, but was overweight. The vet said maybe 24-25 pounds would be good for him. He is at 29 now and still looks chubby, but going the right way.

Hi I'm new to this and could use some advice. Is my cocker over weight? He is 18 weeks old and weighs nearly 11kg. He is a working dog so gets a good bit of exercise! Is this a good weight for a puppy? He is chocolate brown

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 49
Please go to your vet before you restrict food for a puppy!

My Artemis has stunted growth because her previous owners cases her to be malnourished. Puppies should be fat and happy.

Back