newbie question

emily1

Hi i am planning on adopting an adult Cocker Spaniel through a rescue. I would like to know if getting it a puppy clip every 12 weeks will be sufficient along with brushing daily etc? Thanks
emily

Hi Emily and welcome to you and your new cocker baby. I'm Polly from CA. As to your question, I think it depends on the dog, how fast his/her coat grows, what kind of coat he/she has.. field coated cockers don't require as much clipping.. but, I will say
that I have never had a dog in all my years that could go 2 1/2 months without a grooming. Mine get weekly baths in the summer, and bi-weekly baths in the winter. They get clipped once a month with fix it's inbetween.

Your posts will be monitored for a very short while, we promise to get to them and approve them as fast as we can.

It does depend on the coat, as Polly already said, but the very longest mine have ever gone is 6 weeks but I do keep them longer than a regular pet cut.

Hi and welcome. Yes it does depend on the coat. If by puppy cut you mean trimming all the feathering ie legs and skirt area, then yes those areas could go longer than the face, head, ears, back and tail. Those I do on my dogs every couple weeks on so. I bathe weekly and brush daily. I do keep the coats on mine long. The hair on the face, neck and ears tend to grow pretty quick, I would say those areas you want to trim more often. Coats come in all textures. I am lucky mine have good coats. A friend of mine has one with a very Cotteney coat that gets matted very often. Daily brushing is great, you can really inspect the skin that way. Use a good grooming spray before you brush. Bathe more often than once a month. Good luck to you.

I go 8wks, personally, as bathe them every other week. I also don't mind cleaning them up a bit on my own like trimming their paws or tails.

I'd see what schedule suits you and your rescue :)

Its possible to stretch it that long but they'd be a shaggy mess and possibly quite stinky/dirty. You'd also have to be super super careful to brush/comb out completely b/c going that long between a full groom invites matts which can be really painful to the dog. And you'd probably have to do inbetween maintenance - ear cleaning, clipping the hair on the feet. and nails. No way could my dogs go 3mo between nail trims.

I do sometimes go that long between a full groom but in between I do their ears, faces, feet, armpits and sanitary areas every 3-4 weeks.

Just for a reference this is my one dog Apollo after a grooming, then 12weeks later without a grooming (his groomer was on vacation, and I wouldn't let anyone else do it)

abaja8er.jpg

yjuzy6ym.jpg

Now my other cocker (Apollo is a mix) her hair doesn't grow nearly as fast.

This is her after being groomed

8e7y7ane.jpg

This is 8wks later

3e8y2eru.jpg

Just a visual aid.

Paige, I know they told you Apollo is a mix, but he sure looks pure to me.

I usually say mix because his parentage obviously questionable, and they shelter had him listed as cocker mix. He is what he is, and I trust your opinions. :) you guys have wayyy more experience anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
I usually say mix because his parentage obviously questionable, and they shelter had him listed as cocker mix. He is what he is, and I trust your opinions. :) you guys have wayyy more experience anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I think a lot of the time, shelters do say "mix" just to have all bases covered. He's pure cocker IMHO! :luv:

He looks all cocker to me too. I think sometimes a shelter will list mix if they're not sure. My daughter's Eloise was listed as a mix but I took one look and I could tell that she was obviously 100% ASC.

Its just like my Coco...he's supposed to be Cocker Poodle x but hey. The only way I can see he has anything in him besides cocker are his eyes. He has the poodle eyes.IMG_20130715_205759.jpgIMG_20130715_205854.jpg He has the personality of a Cocker I will tell ya that, butt wiggle and all hahaha

Really cause think his eyes are rather smaller then I see in other CS photo's. He's still my silly Coco no matter anyways. LOL

He looks pure cocker to me as well. Several cockers do have smaller eyes, I have seen that. Also shape, standard says almond shaped eyes, most have round eyes.

thanks to everyone for input. Ok perhaps was not clear as I definitely know I need to brush regularly and trim nails etc. My question should have been more straightforward, sorry. If I take it to the groomer for a puppy clip all over every 12 weeks will that work? In other words it would be totally clipped down all over and then of course I would brush/trim nails/clean ears etc in the meantime. Hope that helps make it clearer :) emily.

Hi and welcome. Yes it does depend on the coat. If by puppy cut you mean trimming all the feathering ie legs and skirt area, then yes those areas could go longer than the face, head, ears, back and tail. Those I do on my dogs every couple weeks on so. I bathe weekly and brush daily. I do keep the coats on mine long. The hair on the face, neck and ears tend to grow pretty quick, I would say those areas you want to trim more often. Coats come in all textures. I am lucky mine have good coats. A friend of mine has one with a very Cotteney coat that gets matted very often. Daily brushing is great, you can really inspect the skin that way. Use a good grooming spray before you brush. Bathe more often than once a month. Good luck to you.

Emily, I think it would be ok to trim the feathering every 12 weeks. The face, head, ears and back should be trimmed more often. Good luck with everything.

Back