Newly adopted puppy - Breed Help!

Hayley&Jasper

Hi!

Long time reader, first time poster. I adopted Jasper a few weeks ago and i'm having trouble identifying if he is an American or English. The adoption place said he was American but he looks very English to me. Thoughts?

It doesn't actually matter what he is I was just curious on others opinions and ensuring he gets everything he needs from a breed standpoint.

Thanks!

Thanks! IMG_5713.PNG IMG_5971.JPG IMG_6177.JPG

His muzzle looks English but I'm not sure. His coat looks about the right length for an English.

Can we see a side pic of the topline & tail? honestly, kinda looks like Princess ..... her former owners swore up & down she was a "Purebred" cocker but I think she's half cavalier she even has a full cavalier tail...... I'll try to post a pic for you to compare she looks alot like your dog ....

Fairly sure that your pup is not a show type English cocker--the ear set is wrong.....but still a cutie for sure!

I think he’s more of a field bred American. He has less cost and a snippy nose, like my Farley’s nose, but he doesn’t have the ears or nose of an English. However this is just a guess.

I think he’s more of a field bred American. He has less cost and a snippy nose, like my Farley’s nose, but he doesn’t have the ears or nose of an English. However this is just a guess.
I agree Karen. That's exactly what I thought.

Hello all, thank you for all your replies! I’m sorry I haven’t logged back in as last month has been very busy traveling for work ( jasper came with me 🤗) I can try and get a side photo but he in an energetic pup to say the least!
I was thinking about doing one of the home dna tests... any opinions on these or advice?
As a side note over the past month he’s been a dream, super smart and taking everything in his stride 😍

Hayley, I think the home DNA test is a great idea. You can also send in pictures of him to AKC with whatever they charge to evaluate, when I did that about 15 years ago, it was $25.00 I'm sure it's more now. They will send you a limited registration with the breed listed. The form you fill out also
has you list the breed you think your dog is.. I think if you sent them a picture of a chicken and listed it was a bulldog they would send you home a form listing a bulldog LOL.. so the DNA test will be better lol.

I never knew they had field bred American cockers--anyone got any info or links to share with me on the subject? There is a woman who walks a huge American Cocker close to where I work. Most mornings, as I am pulling into the parking lot, she is out with this absolute gorgeous dog.....a decidedly red buff, the dog probably goes between 35-40 lbs---lovely coat but that can be highly variable depending on the line with either American or English cockers.

I never knew they had field bred American cockers--anyone got any info or links to share with me on the subject? There is a woman who walks a huge American Cocker close to where I work. Most mornings, as I am pulling into the parking lot, she is out with this absolute gorgeous dog.....a decidedly red buff, the dog probably goes between 35-40 lbs---lovely coat but that can be highly variable depending on the line with either American or English cockers.
In fact, come to think of it, this woman's dog looked an awful lot like the puppy above. I stopped and asked her about her dog. and she said the dog was a gift from her son.

Last edited:
Cockers in the Field - Copyright 2006. All rights reserved.

Back