not finishing his food

Paula N.

Owned by
1 cocker
Angus is now 17 1/2 weeks old. He is getting the recommended amount of food for his age. Up until a few days ago, he would wolf down his breakfast and dinner in two seconds flat. Lately, he's not been too interested. Yesterday morning, he did not finish his breakfast and actually only ate 1/4 of it. When my husband came home for his lunchtime walk/pee break, Angus still wasn't interested. He did the same thing at dinner last night but eventually ate it all. This morning, he ate only about 1/2 of his breakfast.

He doesn't seem to be ill and isn't allowed to eat freely throughout the day (crated) and I don't want to get him into the habit of "free eating" or whatever it is called. Dinner is a different story because he is obviously not crated throughout the evening when we are home with him.

Is he just growing up and doesn't feel the need to inhale his food? Is this normal? I'm probably worrying about nothing but thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thanks!

I don't think it's normal because you said this is a sudden change. Is everything else okay? Is he pooping and peeing like he usually does? It's only been a day since the change. He did eat a little which is good. Maybe his stomach wasn't feeling well for some reason. Keep an eye on him. I'm sure he'll be back to his usually self.

check his teeth, or have the vet check them....

also, sometimes it's the food. I would probably toss it and get another bag or canned, or whatever it is you feed him.

Might want to soak the food a little bit in some chicken broth or hot water.

We had him to the vet a week ago yesterday and he did say that Angus was teething. I never thought of that though. I will definitely soften his food tonight with broth and see how he does. Thanks!

If he is teething, you may want to give him something special to chew on that will relieve some of the discomfiort that he's feeling..... Try the frozen washcloth..... Take a cheap washcloth that is all cotton..... Wet it, ring it out, and tie it into a knot..... Put it into a sanwich baggy and freeze it..... When it is fully frozen, let him chew on it..... The coldness will offer some numbing and the chewing will help to move teh baby teeth.

As soon as it's defrosted, take it away becasue wet washcloths will leave marks on wood floors or tables..... And are havoc to step on.

Angus is now 17 1/2 weeks old. He is getting the recommended amount of food for his age. Up until a few days ago, he would wolf down his breakfast and dinner in two seconds flat. Lately, he's not been too interested. Yesterday morning, he did not finish his breakfast and actually only ate 1/4 of it. When my husband came home for his lunchtime walk/pee break, Angus still wasn't interested. He did the same thing at dinner last night but eventually ate it all. This morning, he ate only about 1/2 of his breakfast.

He doesn't seem to be ill and isn't allowed to eat freely throughout the day (crated) and I don't want to get him into the habit of "free eating" or whatever it is called. Dinner is a different story because he is obviously not crated throughout the evening when we are home with him.

Is he just growing up and doesn't feel the need to inhale his food? Is this normal? I'm probably worrying about nothing but thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thanks!

Puppies grow at different rates, sometimes they will be ravenous and sometimes not.
Usually the increase in appetite goes along with a growth spurt. It is not unusual for them to not eat.
Now...if he has vomiting, diarrhea and/or lethargy or even one of the 3, then you might have a sick dog.
So be observant and if he is acting normal, it wont be long before his appetite picks up again.

I give my pups their food. If they eat it great if they don't eat it in 20 min I pick it up.

If its not anything medical. Make sure he is getting enough exercise. Dogs always eat better if their working for it!

I gave Angus his food last night with chicken broth and he loved it! I think he was just being a bugger because this morning he ate his dinner in one big gulp. I've not had a dog since I was a kid so I'm a bit of a worrier!

That's good to hear. I worry about what's normal for Hoshi. It's been 15 yrs since I had a puppy.

Paula did you just use something like the Swanson's broth? Precious has been hesitant to eat her kibble this week but she seems hungry and eats if I put something soft (like pouch food) in her bowl. Wondering if her teeth could be bothering her, she's almost 14.

I got two dogs from rescue who "wouldn't eat". One near dead and one getting there fast. Both old. Coco ate as soon as I got him home and he ate dry food. Charlie - the one who "only eats canned" ate the same thing I feed everyone else...kibble with about a tablespoon of puppy stew mixed in. No canned. Lately I've found Coco likes to eat in his crate in the evening but al fresco in the morning! :naughty: He may be thisclose to 14 but he's no dummy! As soon as Merlin came home, the new eating habits were born! Guess Coco knows he cannot compete with these younger boys. He probably has some bad teeth going on but I ain't sticking my fingers in there to find out cause I may never get them back! Charlie's got excellent teeth but prefers a softer food so I put some warmed water in there before adding his puppy stew...keeps him from barfing it back up too!

Roy,

I just used a chicken bovril pouch mixed with 1 cup of water. He's been good for the last few days and then refused to eat his breakfast this morning. I gave him some broth on it and he gobbled it up. My husband thinks he is playing me - probably is! I've got to stop using the broth though, I'm sure the sodium level is not good for him.

Paula
You can get low sodium broth, or, make your own ^_^

I recently saw a dog show where the dog would only eat if the owner was in the room with him. I just thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility.

One of us is always in the room with ours eats. Our Pepper eats off to the side, the others eat together, but supervised so one doesn't get the others dinner.

Back