Patch's Paw?

Dee Dee

Owned by
1 cocker
Lately Patch has been licking his right front paw a lot. So a few minutes ago I picked him up and sat him in my lap to take a look.

It looks like there is a mole/wart there that he has completly chewed or licked the skin off!!! It looks like the skin is pulled away from it and it is exposed.

He has a few of these little things, but this is the only that he can get his mouth on; the others are on his neck and back.

Can I put something on it to help it heal and wrap it? Thanks!

Dee Dee I think I would take him to have it looked at to be sure it's nothing.

I think he may need antibiotics to prevent an infection while it heals.

He is getting groomed tomorrow (today), so I will make sure the groomer knows about it and doesn't hurt him.

Yes, it's red from him licking it so much, and he probably won't let it heal!

I will take him in!

If they tell you to wrap it try a baby sock with vet wrap at the top. I used that on Ellie when she licked the skin raw between her toes. I used the 0-6 size socks.

You could try buying some VetWrap (self-adhesive bandage) and wrapping the paw with an antibiotic cream, then gauze, then VetWrap. But I think I'd see the vet on this one, to make sure the surrounding tissue isn't too irritated or damaged.

I'd also take him in to have them check the wart/mole thing he's licking. There could be a reason he's bothering it.

DeeDee
What your describing could also be a foreign body that had worked its way through the foot. One year we took Cookie camping with us and a week later she had what you're describing on one of her front feet including the 'hole'. What had happened is a piece of chickweed had worked it's way into her foot and the more she licked, the deeper it went as it digs in further with the licking. It went in from between the pads on the bottom of the feet and worked it's way up to the top. The vet had to use hemostats to 'dig' it out if you will and she had to be put on antibiotics. Just another thought.

DeeDee
What your describing could also be a foreign body that had worked its way through the foot. One year we took Cookie camping with us and a week later she had what you're describing on one of her front feet including the 'hole'. What had happened is a piece of chickweed had worked it's way into her foot and the more she licked, the deeper it went as it digs in further with the licking. It went in from between the pads on the bottom of the feet and worked it's way up to the top. The vet had to use hemostats to 'dig' it out if you will and she had to be put on antibiotics. Just another thought.

Eeekk, poor Cookie.

Ouchie, hope that you figure out what Patch is licking at.

Maggie lickes her feet and developed a granuloma (sp?) we had to get an ointment for it and used bitter apple to keep her off it.

Dee Dee did you take Patch to the vets yet? Or, is his foot better?

My Scout (how he tries my pateince and pocketbook)... last spring he was licking his paw "alot" he was yelping as he was licking, I had to muzzle him to look at it. He had a growth and the vet gave me some medicated spray to elevate the growth. the day of our follow up appt the growth was almost gone the vet said to use the spray for a few more days and he has been fine since.

I haven't taken Patch to the vet, but I will.

He has a few of these little things now that he is getting older. I'm sure they are warts most likey. But, the one he licks on his paw I probably need to have removed because he likes to lick it!

Thanks for asking Polly!

Back