Pet insurance ???

Karamel

Hi,

Karamel is 10months old without any major health issues. I never thought of purchasing an insurance for her, but last month, a friend of mine had to spent a fortune for the surgery that her dog went through... And, then I started to think about this issue more seriously...

I did a quick search online, but I am totally overwhelmed with the results: Different companies offer different plans with different premiums. Karamel is our first (and only) dog, and we really don't know if we should get a health insurance for her. If so, then which one???

We really appreciate if you could provide us some advice..

Thanks,

One of the first thing I think you should do is check on exclusions. We thought about getting it for Butters and Buddy (at RB). The company would not cover ear infections for Butters because cockers get them a lot and quite a few things on Buddy, like heart and eye issues, because of his age (10 when we adopted him). It did not seem worth the money if they would not cover the important things.

One of the first thing I think you should do is check on exclusions. We thought about getting it for Butters and Buddy (at RB). The company would not cover ear infections for Butters because cockers get them a lot and quite a few things on Buddy, like heart and eye issues, because of his age (10 when we adopted him). It did not seem worth the money if they would not cover the important things.

What a rip! <_<

I currently have insurance on Ellie but will let it expire this year. They haven't covered a dime. You are better off putting money away in a savings account every month to cover emergency expenses. JMHO

I currently have insurance on Ellie but will let it expire this year. They haven't covered a dime. You are better off putting money away in a savings account every month to cover emergency expenses. JMHO

Agree totally. I too have looked into it but the cost is just ridiculous to have so many exclusions.

I know my friend Jacie had insurance on both her boys. The insurance did pay for allot for her. But, she spent a lot.. Marty had cancer and Jake developed an issue with being able to absorb proteins late in his life.

If I only had one dog, I would probably have insurance on her. After Reagan's first knee surgery I looked at all the different companies, but I couldn't find one that would cover her second knee. I wish I would of saved the spreadsheet I made with all the different companies, what is covered, price, etc. Just make sure you look at what is covered and if there is a waiting period. Like some have a year waiting period for orthopedic surgeries.

It all just depends on the what ifs (impossible to know now). In Reagan's case it would have been worth it to cover the knees alone. She has already had two knee surgeries and needs a third. It also depends on how committed you will be putting that money aside incase of emergency.

I am glad this came up because I was thinking about getting insurance for Max even more so after tonight but after reading this I am going to go with my first plan an open a savings for him and try to volunteer at the vet so I can get on there good side so may be some day the will let me set up a payment plan when something comes up.

Back