Puppy feeding question

Bella Rose

Owned by
2 cockers
I have a new puppy who is just over 4 months now.
When I got her she was eating Purina puppy (which I don't like). She was quite sick after the long car ride and had an upset tummy. However she did have a normal poop once on the way home.

I switched her over several days to a mix of Nutro puppy & Acana puppy.
For the past week she has also been getting canned pumpkin (about 2-3 tablespoons) added to her food.
Since bringing her home she has never had normal poop, it has always been very runny. With the addition of pumpkin it is better but only to the consistancy of pudding.

She is UTD on all shots and I have seen my vet and she has no worm problems. My vet feels that it is food related and to keep trying. She also seems to be scratching more than I would like although her ears are clean & smell clean and I can't find any flakes in her coat. (To be fair we do live in an extremely dry climate and everyone has dry skin. My fishtank goes through 5 gal of water every week from evaporation).

So what I really want to know is what brands do you like that I should try before I go with random selection again.

While you may not like Purina puppy chow you know her stools were normal when she was eating it. I would switch her back to the Purina and see how she does.

I'm not an expert in this by any means but usually when you switch foods you begin by adding a little of the new to what you're currently feeding and very gradually increase the proportion of new to old until you're feeding all new. All the stress and excitement of a new home could also be the culprit.

Hope everything's back to normal soon.

Been a really long time since I had a puppy but mine were on Purina puppy without a problem. The more you change though - the more poopy problems the little one's gonna have.

Back