rescue Rescue Needed

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
My groomer just had an owner turn in of a one year old unneutered male parti cocker. We are in the Central Valley of California.

Julie says it is a very typical story. Woman had a Lhasa apso for 15 years and It passed away. Woman lost her leg to diabetes and is in wheel chair. Then the woman's 91 year old mother broke her hip and moved in so there are two women in wheel chairs and a puppy. The husband is working and taking care of these two women and the puppy begins to get protective of the women.

The dog is not neutered, not trained, and not disciplined. It is a parti but not well bred. Julie says it is very cute but more black and while then true parti. She really thinks that with a neutering, obedience, and some dog savy people it could be a really good addition to a family.

Julie is willing to board the dog but doesn't want it to become a kennel dog. She would like to find it a good home or place it with a good breed rescue..

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
American Cocker Spaniel Rescue of Washington. Do a Google search for them. It's a good rescue that is reputable.

I'll take a look at the dog tomorrow when I take the boys in to be groomed. Julie says he's very cute. She has a full schedule and a full kennel right now, it's spring break, so she won't get him fully groomed until next week. I guess he's not in bad shape but she'd like to have him looking really good before pictures are posted.

Good pictures make a huge difference. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Saw the pup this morning, because I think one year old is still a pup in lots of ways. He is adorable but I don't think he's a parti. I could be wrong on this (Kelly or other cocker person?), I think he's a mismarked black. His face, down his chest, the insides of his front legs, and possibly his belly but I didn't get a look are white. The rest of him is black. This is a dog who truly should be named Oreo. All the white stuff is on the inside surrounded by the black just like the cookie. He's not too big, about Farley sized. He's got a field coat and a snippy nose like Farley but he's very cute. He was very happy and wiggly. Farley got out of his crate in the back and came up and they did well with each other.

Julie said he seems to like women better. He did well with Frank bathing him but didn't want to come out of his kennel for Jonny. There is a vet that will work with Julie in situations like this so she's hoping to get him neutered next week or the week after.

Julie was upset she said the people had been talking to her for about three months. She told them the first step was to get him neutered. The next step is to get a trainer. She told them about trainers who would come to their house and work with them there. Her daughter is trainer and even volunteered to go there gratis and work with them. They, of course did none of that. The good news is that they turned the dog over to Julie and didn't simply take him to the pound.

I feel sorry for them in their circumstances but to quote Polly, sometimes I hate people.

He sounds very similar to Missy being mismarked, except Missy has black spots all around her white.

He sounds sweet. I hope he gets a better second chance at life. He's still so young.

He sounds so cute Karen. I hope that he finds the perfect home. I know, I do hate people sometimes.

He does sound like a mis-marked black, Hannah is. When her coat is long, the black coat covers the white and she loses even more of the white. But her white is so white.

I am so glad that they turned him in to your groomer instead of the pound, sounds like this family is very overwhelmed and he could have ended up in the back yard or worse. I am sorry tht they did not listen to her sooner and act on it then, when things might have been salvaged. I hope that he finds a great foster home and better yet a forever home soon. Wishing them the best.

Back