Riley's coat

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
I've been wondering about Riley's coat. Ever since his tramatic injury this summer/fall, his coat has been getting thinner, finer and softer. It's gone from being a very full show coat to a coat almost the consistancy of cotton. It tangles and matts very easily. I brush twice a week, unless needed more, and I know I did a good job on Wednesday. Today there was a big mat on one of his front legs. I even did a quick brush on Fri. and it wasn't there then. Riley just seems to tangle more easily.

Riley is now either 11 or 12 years old so this might just be age and the fact I noticed it as he recovered from his injury is a coincidence. He has aged very rapidly since his recovery. Before he hurt his leg, no would have ever known Riley was 10/11, now it is easier to tell. Riley is much more fragile.

Any ideas for Riley's coat? Maybe this is just normal for a dog his age but it sure does tangle easier.

Gabby's hair took a long time to grow back following his surgeries. He had a bald spot on his back for a long time. I think illness took a lot out of him. I think stress and the resulting high cortisol levels cause many adverse effects on the body including thinning hair and hair loss. Make sure and ask his vet if it could be a thyroid problem too.

Last edited:
Karen, I'm not sure what you can do, especially with Riley's stomach problems. I know my crew look great since I started giving them salmon oil. I think Manuel's got some great advice, and, I'm sure Linny and Kelly and Robin will have some for you

Had the exact opposite happen to Morgan. He had a wispy coat for years. Never needed trimming except just a bit around his feet. Got him neutered around 7 years of age and he developed the coat he should have had all his life...full and gorgeous. Bad for me cause he wasn't used to be combed and such!

I have no advice for you . . . I'm with Manuel, it could be a result of all of the stress that his body's gone through over the past six months, with the foot and hip issues. I know that long term prednisone use can cause thinning hair coat, and perhaps the extended period of raised cortisol (stress hormones) in the body can produce similar effects? If he's really tangling up, would you consider putting him in a puppy cut, to cut back on grooming requirements?

Kelly,
Riley is in a short cut now, it's is only saving grace. His rear leg and the skirt on that side were shaved waaaay back for his surgery. Each of his front legs had a big band shaved for his IV's. It is only thanks to our wonderful groomer that Riley actually looks quite good and most people wouldn't notice how short he actually is. That woman is a magician.

Back