Ruff Night

Mike

Owned by
4 cockers
All was well till about 9 PM last night. Then all of a sudden Lacey gets up and starts licking the floors and rugs non-stop. About 15 minutes later, she hurls her dinner, then goes right back to licking again. Obviously her tummy is upset. A few minutes later, she hurls again, then goes back to constant licking. This kept up for at least an hour and a half. She hurled a least a dozen times all over the place. Then she starts coughing and panting. I know she hadnt gotten into anything so I get dressed and call the E-Vet. They tell me to watch her for a little while (really?) and maybe take her for a walk, and no food or water till morning. If no change in a few hours, then bring her in. So I take her out for a little walk so she can get some fresh air. She seems a little better so decide to just stay here and try to get her to settle, which she does eventually, then she fell asleep on my bed.
This morning she seems better but not completely. I gave her a very small breakfast which she managed to keep down, and the licking has stopped for now. Needless to say I called off work to keep an eye on her today.
Sigh... Its always something.

Crap, why does this stuff always seem to happen late at night?

Mike, has Lacey ever done the licking thing pre-seizure? When was her last one.

That's an awful lot of hurling if you ask me, perhaps I don't , maybe from the rugs? I know you said you steam cleaned over the weekend. You think it's possible she got some of the cleaner?

I would call your regular vet and tell him and see what he thinks. Glad she's a bit better today.

Linda.. no she never did the licking thing before a seizure. I thought that too... maybe she was about to have one, but she didnt. Her last seizure was about a month ago.
And I doubt it was from the carpet shampoo, since they are always in here with me. However, she was hurling carpet fibers towards the end of last nights puking marathon.
She's not licking today, but still doesnt seem her old self quite yet.
On the plus side, I went back to bed after I called off work, and the pups and I slept till 10:30.. :)

Poor Lacey :( And poor YOU Mike! That hurling is NO fun, especially through the night. I'm glad she's feeling better this morning.

That is so nice of you calling in sick to be with Lacey. I've learned to never tell them why I'm calling in sick--it's not required.

Poor Lacey and you. Glad she is feeling a little better this morning. Hope she continues to improve.

Whole lot of barfing going on!!! Frankie is fine now; hope Lacey is, too. Frankie licks on furniture, totally unrelated to throwing up. We think it is boredom sometimes, which has become a habit.

Well, it's about 4 PM and Lacey seems to be doing better so far. Got her some chicken breasts and boiled em up with rice to give for her meals for the next day or so. They were ALL up on their hinds counter surfing.. with noses twitching for that. Will see if she keeps it down at dinnertime.
And Manuel... yes, giving a reason isnt required but I usually tell them anyway. Fortunately, they know about my dogs and they understand. All except the plant manager, who's a total a**, but I dont really care what he thinks. I'm pretty much the "go to guy" at work for doggie questions.. ;)
Just hoping there isnt a reoccurrence tonight. I just love stressing. Not.

Hope she continues to do well. Night time barfs are no fun at all!

Calling in to work is always dicey for me. When I first met my new manager near two years ago Maxwell was dying, my plumbing went crappy, and I got a huge electric bill thanks to the plumbing. I was hit hard. Regarding the worse thing - my dog - she blithely said "get a second opinion". Shrugged her shoulders and walked off. I hated her from that moment on and I guess it showed cause she rode me like a roller coaster. For the longest time I didn't tell her ANYthing about my dogs. Someone finally clued her in as to how much they mean to me and she's a lot more open to my pooches now. She calls them my babies now. She understood when I said I would be late because I thought Charlie had a kidney infection and I wanted to get him into the vet ASAP but wanted to know when I would be in that day. The vet was in surgery until 10 I think, then lunch break...think I got him in around 2. Work day shot to poop.

The bestest (real) yet most embarrassing excuse I have used maybe three times is "I can't get my car out of the garage". First time cause the door only went up about 6 inches and stopped. Two power outages due to storms and I couldn't get the car out. Then the spring broke...ok - four times! Now I have a new door....hmmm lost that excuse!

Yes, it seems that these problems always happen at night. I too have a problem with calling in. Disney is not "pet oriented", even though most of their characters are animals! When I call in, I'm sick - thats it.

I have called in when Pluto was sick, when we first got Woody and I wanted to spend an extra few days with him to get him oriented to the house and us and when Woody was neutered and I didn't want to leave him alone after binging him home.. These dogs are my babies since I don't have any two legged ones.

Mike,

she probably just wanted some good old "home cookin". Ever notice the dogs do much better off of dog food than on?

Even the vets tell you to cook for them or give them baby food (mine like the chicken in the jar).

Besides our puppy stew, I think Merrick's Grammy's pot pie or Halo's Spots Stew is the closest thing if you can't cook for them. Halo is even sold at Petsmart now (I think) or Petco, since Ellen owns part of the company.

I would keep the lights dim and sounds low in case she's due for another seizure and make sure there are so toads or mushrooms in the yard. Ugh, it's that time of year again.

oH Mike
I was so sorry to read this about Lacey. I'm glad she has improved. Poor babies, both of you.

Tunie has been licking my kitchen floor.. I thought it was because Michael dropped a skillet he was sauteeing roast beef in to make Philly Cheese Steak Sandwitches with.. He cleaned it up and I mopped the floor but figured she could still smell the beef on it.. I'll watch her now too..

My two have been licking the floor a lot too, but it was all my fault. First I dropped some toast on the floor in the morning - peanut butter side down. Then I dropped an egg on the floor when making a cake. In the evening, I managed to knock over my glass of Pinot Noir. The glass broke but all stayed on the table. The wine dripped down the arm of the loveseat and also a little got on the floor. Before I could blink, two little tongues were licking away. Luckily all the galss stayed on the table and I have a large bottle of Wine Away, which worked wonderfully on the loveseat. I guess yesterday was just my klutz day and I may have been tired from making 200 stufed dates (that's another story.) I was sorry not to have the wine, though. It was a very good Pinot.

Back