Shampoos

Apollo_Moon

Owned by
2 cockers
Moon has got a coarse coat. It breaks off really easy. I'd love to have it more silky/smooth. Is there a shampoo or vitiams that you guys use to make your dogs coats better? I want to grow out the Reed Kids coats this ear but I want their coats to look really nice.

I have always found soft coats come mostly from the inside out. I feed grain free food and give NuVet Plus supplements...I also cook a ground beef and veggie topper weekly and add to each feeding and also give eggs with spinach twice a week with breakfast. I bath every couple of weeks and use oatmeal shampoo and conditioner then rinse really really well.

I feed a grain/corn/by product free food Rachel Ray's Limited Ingredients. I have the oat meal shampoo but not conditioner. I will have to look into the supplements.

A spray on condition is also good to use before brushing,I lightly mist the coat and use heavy behind legs were mats form so easy... it helps cut down on hair breakage :)

Oatmeal shampoo is used to treat dry, flaky skin. It is a treatment shampoo and can have detrimental effects on coats that aren't dry or flaky. It is best to use a good quality regular shampoo and a leave in conditioner. If you use a rinse out conditioner it will make drying the coat way longer as it is absorbed through the hair shaft. I would not recommend using both a rinse out/ leave in conditioner as it will make the coat greasy feeling. I use bark to basics shampoo, start with the honey and almond shampoo, then use the brightening shampoo, towel dry, and spray in conditioner. I use EQyss Avocado leave in conditioner and detangler.

I do not look at oatmeal shampoo as a treatment but as a prevention,it is very gentle and natural and levels out PH....used it for over thirty years and "Never" had a dog with dry,brittle hair,never had a hot spot,any dry itchy skin problems or discolored yeasty paws. Always had beautiful soft shiny healthy coats on all my dogs :)

Hot spots, yeasty issues and such have no bearing on what shampoo you use. Those types of things have way more to do with diet than shampoo used. I have used oatmeal shampoo in the past on dogs whose skin has become this way due to allergies either food related or airborne. ACV works very well to control hotspots, ear infections, and yeast as well as red staining around eyes and mouth.

Like I said....health,coat and eyes and energy all comes from the inside out. ACV is in every bowl of water for my dogs,their feet and stomach is wiped with it right after a yard mowing,my horses get it each day over their food for fly prevention. But then again I do many many things to aid in their health.

Oatmeal shampoo can increase yeasty issues if the pet all ready has them,this is where many people go wrong by using it but for a non chemical,natural mild non abrasive,non stripping shampoo on a healthy pet I find it wonderful and so does my team of Vets, it is discussed each time their students come to our home for prevention classes on dogs and horses.

It is recommended by many vets to treat environmental skin allergies and to aid in soothing skin problems but if you have never had any issues with them what is to say that the oatmeal shampoo has not helped in preventing them as environmental has nothing to do with diets...we will never really know but never having any issues with any airborne or environmental skin allergies is good enough reason for me to stay with it. Also keeping the skin in the correct PH balance can help in preventing yeast overgrowth. It is something that has worked well for me for many many years, therefore giving me no reason to discontinue use of it or change to one with chemicals in it.

Diet,supplements,bathing,grooming,exercise all go together to maintain a healthy pet,be it...dog,cat or horse. Prevention is the best treatment for many ailments,the more natural the better and is what I have lived by for decades.

Last edited:
What's ACV? Apple Cider Vinegar? Have been thinking of trying as a wipe around Cordelia's mouth, for the red yeasties. She won't drink water spiked with it. We are treating her for environmental allergies, diagnosed by a veterinary dermatologist.

Yup. ACV is apple cider vinegar. I use it on my lab whenever his ears get yucky and yeasty. Works like a charm. Is natural which is what I like.

Deborah...I use a spray bottle filled with water and put two or three spoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in it to spray off feet and tummies after playing in fresh cut grass, works wonders to help prevent the tummy bumps,especially on Cole's little baby belly. You can also put it on a cotton ball for areas like mouth or tear stains.

Can also make a final rinse out of it for after baths but I do not use this as my shampoo has no harsh detergents or chemicals in it. :)

Cordelia's dermatologist has her on Keto-Chlor shampoo, Virbac Epi-Soothe cream rinse, each once a week, Douxo seborrhea spot-on twice a week, and of course, desensitization shots once a week. Even so, the red yeasties sneak up on her, mostly on the mouth and throat.

Wow Deborah....bless her heart,she must have bad allergies. I hope her shampoos and meds help give her some relief. Does she drink filtered water? Sometimes the minerals in regular water can cause red around their mouths.

Cordelia is allergic to several kinds of grass, trees, bugs, and dust. But she's pretty much under control, itch and rash wise. But I'm always looking for ways to improve and refine.

Deborah...I use a spray bottle filled with water and put two or three spoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in it to spray off feet and tummies after playing in fresh cut grass, works wonders to help prevent the tummy bumps,especially on Cole's little baby belly. You can also put it on a cotton ball for areas like mouth or tear stains.

Can also make a final rinse out of it for after baths but I do not use this as my shampoo has no harsh detergents or chemicals in it. :)

2 or 3 spoons in how much water? 8oz?

For rinses and soaks you use 1 cup per gallon so I try to judge it off that when making smaller batches.

Reactions: Liz
Back