Shedding?!?!

Gunnar's Mom

I have a 10 wk old Cocker and he sheds horribly. I didn't know if this was normal in cockers or if maybe this is just a puppy thing. If you pick him up your going to get hair all over you and forget black pants because it looks like i have been rolling around the floor with him its so much hair. I have a furminator brush and it gets a ton of hair but I can brush him for an hour and then pick him up and still hair is everywhere. Comments or suggestions on if this is normal, does it slow down when they are older, things that will help. I feed him Nutro for puppies which they say helps with skin and coat and he has skin and coat treats. The vet didn't seem concerned at the amount he shed
Gunnar1.jpg

If your cocker is like mine don't wear black. The fulminator is a good idea. It should help manage the problem but there will always be a small amount if hair that gets on your clothes.

Pups will shed thier coats but that seems a little young. What are you feeding, a grain free quality diet might help. Also a little fish oil helped ours but with a pup that young it should be a very small amount or you could get diarrhea. Thier are lots coat conditioners also

Ours got better when we changed to a raw diet, we buy it not make it but they still shed, the black one more.

Well, cockers are certainly NOT one of the 'nonshedding' breeds ;) but 10 weeks seems young for shedding problems - I'd ask your vet next time you're in for puppy shots because there are a couple of skin issues pups can have.

How often are you brushing him? If I don't brush my dogs for a week, I can see the difference in the amount of shedding. Also, I need to use a fine tooth comb - otherwise, I don't get the stragglers off and it makes it seem like the dogs are shedding more. Running a slightly damp microfiber towel over the fur also helps pick up loose hair - but be sure its on the hair only b/c it can be irritating to bare skin.

Thanks yall... The vet didn't seem worried. I went and got him a cocker shave and that helped a lot. I feed him Nutro because they told me that it would be best for coats but I don't see a difference with that at all and he has been on it for 6 weeks now. I will try the oil, I have heard that will help.I brush him with a furminator brush and it does pull alot of that hair out but i can brush for an hour and constantly get hair off.At the end of the day he could shed another dog a day and it wouldnt matter, he has been the best blessing. The vet says he is leaps and bounds ahead of what a puppy should be at his age and we are so lucky to have him.
073.JPG 045.JPG

Attachments

• 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 17
oh my goodness- he is cute! love the slight mohalk!

on my current dogs, I dont like the furminator. I feel like it breaks their coat - esp Princess' hair. Teddy fares a bit better with it.

You know... they're like people. There is no one perfect tool for all dogs. (Sadly)

Back