Suggestions on new clipper

Owned by
2 cockers
I have grooming my own pups for a few yrs now using a Wahl Arco cordless. I love my arco clipper but want a descent backup clipper. the blade was too worn last night and had to thin out my Scout using curved scissors what a challenge that was he looks like a Shar pei not a cocker.

The clippers I am looking at are Andis Super AGC 2 speed clipper, Oster Golden A5 single speed clipper, and/or Wahl Switchblade Clipper. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these or know of someone who does?

355514191.jpg

I always recommend Andis AGC clippers to people who want corded clippers. Personally, I have Wahl Bravura clippers (corded or cordless) and Laube Speed Feed clippers (cordless). I love both sets, and I use them for face trims, shave downs and everything in between.

I've only used the Golden A5s. They're pretty reliable and don't need much maintenance. The cord is a hassle and sometimes I wish I had something lighter working around the face.

I've tried quite a few different brands and I like the andis as a corded clipper too. I've not had any problems with them and they are pretty hardy. ;)

Like Manuel I have only had the Oster Golden A5.. In fact, I have 3 corded single speed sets. :)

I've always liked the Andis 2 speeds. They get a lot of use around here. One thing I've learned to look for when ordering them is the "strokes per minute." Some are faster than others. The last set I got the are the ones that cut at 4200 on high instead of 3400 and it seems to have made a difference in how fast they will cut thru their coats. Pet Edge usually tells you how fast they cut.

Personally I find clipper sets such as Easy Dog Clip Clippers to wear out fairly quickly on Cocker hair, because it's thicker than most dog coats. If you're only grooming occasionally, and just one dog, then that might be the most economical choice. But for people that want clippers that last a long time, and can be used for several dogs, you may want to upgrade to higher-level clippers.

Just my thoughts :)

Hi,

I'm still giggling over the "oyster" clippers. Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

I noticed that all of your links refer to one particual website. is that your site? Do you make the dog cookies too?

I recently asked the same question (somewhere else) and was told to go with the Andis and make sure it has a ceramic blade. They don't heat up as quickly. My last pair of clippers were cheap and I didn't mind putting in the money as long as they worked well and for other cocker owners. So I went with the andis and I adore them. They were everything everyone said they were. And the ceramic blade is great!

After grooming professionally for over 35 years and using every single clipper out there...I have settled on the Andis clippers, they are lightweight and QUIET, which is especially nice when I do my puppies.
Clippers have come a long way. Back when I was a beginner I used only Oster...well the problem was if you dropped them they were history. I had about 20 sets of various ages that were broke, I used just for parts...Now most of them have shatter proof casings which is great!
When I owned my grooming shop and groomed full time...I used the Laube, cordless. They were a pretty large clipper, on the heavy side, but would go through ANY coat...which is what you need when you are in a shop, especially for those 1 time a year grooming clients. I've never used the smaller one. I also find if you go to a granite shop and take a sample of granite...usually a 6 x 6 piece...they work great for cooling blades quickly. I take my blades off the clipper and lay them flat side down...works great

Reactions: Liz
Gina!
Great tip!!! Luckly I only have 4 to groom so I just switch off clippers. I always remove the blades and clean them after each use.

Last edited:
I don't have a slab, but I do keep a ceramic tile for the same reason - to pull the heat out of the blades. I have to say, it works pretty well.

Great ideas about the granite/ceramic tiles. I usually don't have a problem with mine getting too hot because Reagan is the only one that needs to be clipped. Presley doesn't get a full coat.

I was recommended the Wahl Arco (thanks Linda and Kelly) and I LOVE them! I had Andis before and they worked great too, but got hotter than these.

Back