Summer haircut

CodysMom

Owned by
1 cocker
So I was wondering...how short do most of you keep the hair in the summer? I'm currently debating between a 1/2inch, 3/8, or 1/4 with a Wahl clipper. I usually give my kid total freedom in the summer: Mud wallowing, creek splashing, bird flushing in weeds, etc, so I have to keep him kind of short. And what about the ears? I cut them straight across last time, and did not shave the upper 1/3. Nor have I cut the fur on the top of his head (he looks a bit like a rock star right now...or as I always say to him "You look like Donald Trump with that hairdo!"). So what do you all do?

Last edited:
I try to keep the girls in a short, maybe 1 to 1/2 inch on legs. i guess it would be a short puppy cut, with longer ears. It keeps them cooler, bathing and drying is quicker. We have been having really nice weather so they got short a little sooner than usual.

I just cut mine down last week. They go in my sisters pool all the time in the summer. Leg feathers are 1/2 inch, skirt completely gone, and, heads and necks 10 and backs 7 F in the summer. My old guy hasn't had his long ears in a long time, Pogo's are a smidge shorter in the summer with the backs completely shaved. He's a constant in the water, Stormy wears his as usual, long, shaved the ususal on the tops and insides.

Blade#10 on the face, ears and neck. #7 for everything else.

I usually do about a 1/2" down the legs, which is a #4 (each number is another 1/8"); and a bit longer on the body/head. Also, which kind of Wahl trimmer do you use? I like the Peanut; it's really small yet extremely powerful. Here's a link, I actually forgot that it was Wahl until I googled it lol .. I think it also comes in a battery-powered version.

Back