Teddy Shaking/Shivering

lori

Owned by
2 cockers
I was just watching Teddy lying on the cough and noticed his body shaking or shivering/quicverying. He's not doing anything and not sleeping. Was wondering if I need to worry about this? Any thoughts?

Lori if you have noticed this happening more than once.. if Teddy were mine, I would take him in to the vets. Sometimes
it's better to be safe and find out the problem early. I know I wish sometimes they could talk.

Sometimes shaking is a sign of pain, or distress. And other symptoms like bowel changes? Tummy growling? Did he just get clipped short for summer (maybe he is chilled)? If it continues I would also think about a vet visit.

Apollo sometimes does that at night, especially when we go from the upstairs near the fireplace down to the sublevel. My vet said sometimes temp can affect dogs more than others. Now I make sure he has a blanket ready.

Apollo and Artemis both shake in their sleep (Apollo sleeps with his eyes part way open occasionally) so you're positive he wasn't sleeping ?

Was he responsive at all? If he doesn't respond I'd be worried about a seizure.

If he does it again I'd rather go to the vet and be safe.

Hope Teddy is feeling better...I would think stomach upset first,but lots of things can cause them to shiver. I would also consider Vet trip if continues.

that would concern me. I'd check his gums to make sure they look normal not pale or cold. If they are, i'd prob go to an er vet. if they look ok and he has no other symptoms, put a blanket on him and you might see how he is tomorrow.

eta: I'd listen to my gut on it. But, my dogs are very very healthy so any little thing where I'm worried and I know its probably NOT a 'little' thing.

I hope its nothing!

Last edited:
Hope Teddy feels better. Many times shaking can be a sign of discomfort. If you palpate any parts on his body does he yelp? If it continues I would take him in to the vet.

Yes, I've taken him to the vet a few times now for shaking and his inability to jump sometimes. The vet thinks it is a low back problem, maybe due to an old injury. He's going to email me the name of a chiropractor that does animals, so I'm thinking of trying that with him. The shaking or shivering they keep attributing to maybe something neurological. He's been fine since. He worries me at times.

Yeah, I'm a worry wart too. I've never had a dog that quivers like that before. Most of the time though it is when he is standing and is excited about something or maybe some anxiety. Going to the vets, he shakes like a leaf and hyperventilates, but then calms down after he checks out everything in the room.

Hi Nicole, no he doesn't yelp when you press on anything. I think I mentioned this before, but he does not like his back legs or hips touched or pet and his extreme low back. He will give me a very low growl if I touch these parts, but I give him treats while I need to brush him or check him for things and he doesn't growl then.

He was awake. I thought afterwards that maybe he was cold as I did have the window open in the LR and it was about 40 out. I put a blanket on him and he didn't like that LOL.

Poor guy!! Chiropractors really help. For the anxiety try some rescue remedy. That really seems to help. They have the drops for dogs. They have it for people as well.

My friend has a dachshund that was suddenly paralyzed. She rushed her to the chiropractor. Who saved her, within hours she was walking again. She was on prednisone for a few days then she put her on tart cherry, which is a natural anti inflammatory like prednisone. She had to have the dog on pen rest. The vet said no crate but a pen. She could move around a little. She is on a small amount of tart cherry for the rest of her life. She is back to bouncing around like nothing ever happened. This is how I know that chiropractors really do help.

Back