The time is here

DotInFlorida

Owned by
2 cockers
I'm am going to *gulp* shave down Ellie :crybaby: this weekend.

We had a/c malfunction yesterday and that convinced me that this HAS to be done whether I like it or not. She was soooo uncomfortable and it only got up to 84 in the house AND I had floor fans running. Of course, the humidity was high - this is Florida. I can't run the chance of making her ill just because I want to keep her in her pretty long coat. Not the right state for that, unfortunately.

Anyway, I would like some input on where to start. I don't particularly want to shave her back as we have been trying to grow it out to a more natural state and it looks better than shaved on her.

Can someone give me some verbal guidelines as to how to go about this. I don't want her to look like a nekid pup with a horse blanket on. :p

Kelly, how did you do Jack Jack? (he looks wonderful)

Robin, help?

I can't really go to a groomer here for help as they all make cockers look like either schnauzers, poodles or bichons. (sigh)

I have the following blades: 10, 7, 5, 4-1/2 and 3-3/4

I just put the clippers through his belly coat - because once I did that swipe I couldn't go back ;). I just used my Wahl Bellissima clippers on the longest setting (#9 I think) and shaved. I used my thinning shears to blend his unshaved back coat with the shaved areas. It took about a half hour to get him all done.

U can do like Kelly did or a modified pup cut with ur 3 3/4 on ur legs, body and sides. That would look cute too. I'm not sure how long her back coat is but a 5 may b ok but a 7 may look funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took about a half hour to get him all done.

That should equal to about 1-1/2 hours for me. LOL (and a box of tissue)

U can do like Kelly did or a modified pup cut with ur 3 3/4 on ur legs, body and sides. That would look cute too. I'm not sure how long her back coat is but a 5 may b ok but a 7 may look funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trimmed her back with a 7 ONCE. :'( Her back coat is fairly long. Been letting it grow for a long while (maybe 10 months?), just using the stripper knife. She doesn't have great coat quality due to her past and allergies. But does look better with a longish back.

I know how you feel. Yesterday before I left for work the power went out. It was 95F and the hottest day so far. My wife Cathy and Hoshi were home. I was at work in AC but Cathy and Hoshi were stuck at home without any power until 2am. :(

Last night I told Joe that I was going to shave down his little girl. He laughed - until he realized I wasn't laughing. Just a little shorter? he says, I say - no, a lot shorter.

I promised him it would grow back, quickly. LOL

I'm sure she'll enjoy her new haircut. I plan on shaving Hoshi down too before his next bath. It was 95F a couple of days ago. I'll take some pictures of him before and after his haircut.

Dotty, I'm sure she will feel so much better.. with your heat and humid days, I don't blame you.
This morning, I was feeling a little better, so I took down Stormy, Pogo, and Pep's legs a little.

Glad you are feeling better Polly! :) (didn't know you were feeling poorly)
Dotty, I talked about it on FB.. I got a call from my son last night.. he was upset because I didn't let him know..
I'll start a new thread and explain.

I shaved Rudy down completely with a 10 blade and it took about 2.5 hours.:blink: But then again he was a little stubborn... plus I had quite the audience who had a few things to say happy. :rolleyes: Oh well, he's grown out since then and its always great to start all over.

I feel your pain, last fall when Maggie was sick and losing her hair where she had lesions, I shaved her down and the ears were the last to go, I think it was the first time ever that her ears had been shaved down since she was a puppy. Even thought it was best for her, it made me cry.

Good news is they do grow their coats back :)

The girls get a modified puppy clip for summer to help them feel cooler and makes for fast drying after a bath.

The deed is done. Sort of a puppy cut.

It was Charley's turn today.

Too tired to take pics.

Forgot to say that it was just in time. About 95 here today and not a cloud in the sky. Baking hot out there!

Last edited:
Back