Upgrade to two?

Jenn11

Owned by
1 cocker
We appear to have tracked down a lovely looking little male cocker that needs a new home, due to the arrival of a new baby. He's a black and tan boy, neutered, 3 yrs old and lived with other dogs previously. Apparently, he was stuck by a child when he was a pup and has growled at some children. We are thinking about meeting him, as his current owner's description makes it seems as though he has a similar energy to Peeka. I have some experience with training dogs, and I'm open to bringing in a dog trainer. Opinions clearly welcomed ! My only reservation is that we don't have children yet. I believe that these things can be worked on, but maybe I'm wrong.

Related topic of interest: For those of you with two or more cockers, any comments on the pros versus the drawbacks of owning two cockers while still in the workforce? Words of wisdom are always encouraged. I am entertaining the idea b/c I think it wold be nice for Peeka to have a buddy, and b/c I have fallen in love with the breed.

I have always held to the belief that two dogs get into less trouble than one. I know that sounds stupid but it has always worked for us. I guess they keep each other entertained.

definitely going with Dot's response! Cockers are like tater chips....you really can't have just one!

I had never had two until we got Riley but I really like having two. They are best friends and I don't they feel as lonely when we leave them at home. They are company for each other.

I have three dogs, and I work full time. I also have a 45 minute commute each way, so I'm gone for a large amount of time every day. I find that my dogs are company for each other, and I don't know how I ever lived with just one. Jack Jack and Grace are the best of friends . . . they spend a LOT of time playing together and cuddling together. Farley would be happy without Jack Jack, but he does enjoy Grace's company. Personally, I think if you spend a lot of your non-work time with your dogs, then they can handle you being gone for work. They really do adapt to our lives and schedules.

As for this male having growled at kids . . . just because he did it before doesn't mean there's an issue. It means that he may need careful socialization to kids, especially if you plan on adding to your family down the road, but that's not insurmountable. Farley hadn't been around kids at all until he was almost 5 years old . . . and he managed the change to almost constant kid activity with ease, because I helped him through it.

The only downside to owning two Cockers is vet care costs. If they're healthy dogs, there aren't any real issues . . . but if they get sick, it can be a big hit financially.

Dittos on the go for it. In my personal experience, the dogs are much happier having another dog around. The biggest con is the expense - twice the vet bills, twice the food bills, etc. Cockers have a list of health issues they are prone to, and you should plan and have money set aside for the chance they may both need surgery at the same time. And there's twice the brushing with cockers, which can be a pro or a con depending on how many leaves and branches they picked up from the yard. ;) Of course, you get twice the kisses too, and that to me is much more important. :)

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I've been thinking about getting a second puppy (cocker of course!) after we move to Alb~~ However at the same time I've convinced myself no, I just want to deal with Kaylee. But in my life, I've always enjoyed having 2 dogs. It certainly helps the first keep occupied and not as lonely! I say go for it. :)

I think when there is more than 1 it does help when they are left alone. It is more costly with more than one financially, but the unconditional love from all of them makes it all well worth it:).

I hope your meeting goes well:)

I agree with everyone. I love having multiple dogs. The vetting costs are more, but, I find that major vetting doesn't usually happen at one time for all of them, and I am in SO CA where just having my dogs nails cut cost me over $100.00. I think that if you can afford more than one, then go for it!

@Polly~ 100.00 for cutting nails?! Are you kidding?! O.O
\
No Ashlee, I'm going to try to find another vet that's more reasonable.. they are $26.00 each for nails here close to home. I paid over $1000 for Peppers dental last year.

Oh my gosh, vets do it for free in Oklahoma (at least where I'm from) and here in FL (at least where I'm from).

Oh my gosh, vets do it for free in Oklahoma (at least where I'm from) and here in FL (at least where I'm from).

LOL Ashlee, nothing is free in California! I live in the bankrupt state .. [sigh]

BTW... it was fun chatting with you this [Tuesday] morning!

$5.00 for nails here....unless you go to the vet then $$$$$$$

P.S. Thanks for your two-cents everyone!! We're hoping to met potential cocker #2 "Charley" a Black and Tan this weekend!!

I'm way too excited over "possbilities..." yay!!

Back