Water/Food bowl recomendatons

morbeeeus

I need to find appropriate bowls for the new puppy. Something that keeps his ears out of the water and food.

Does anyone have a favorite or know of a good web site that has a few to pick from?

Mike

Years ago, when I had Charlie, we found some hard plastic bowls shaped like a rectangle. We got two, and Charlie and now Frankie used them. Both dogs have chewed the base of them and they do need to be replaced. But I have never seen them again, and I have no idea where we got them. They work amazingly well. The ears hang over either side. If anyone knows where we can get them, I'd be pulling out my credit card in a flash!!!

There is a bowl called "Buddy Bowl" or something like that. I also found some stainless bowls with a lid that goes down like a funnel. They were made by the Herm Stringer....(name may not be correct). They were a little pricey, but well worth it. I keep two down and they don't get ears wet at all and the water stays cleaner during the day. I usually wash them morning and evening and fill both up. They hold about four cups each. Hope this helps...Joyce

I have plastics bowls shaped like that first one on Karen's link--with a wide base that narrows at the top. It's probably the same design Joyce speaks of. I haven't been able to find them recently. I still have Gabby's puppy sized one except it's all discolored and stained from being outside.

I have stainless spaniel food bowls. They are narrower at the top so ears don't fall in, doesn't always work, and a lip around so they don't tip. I found a great water bowl at Walmart, it's a stainless kitchen utensil holder that is narrower on the top so no wet ears.

Plastic bowls are not recommended because they can harbor bacteria.
Best to use the type that Polly mentioned.

Two of my dogs are used to snoods, from their show days.

Plastic bowls are not recommended because they can harbor bacteria.
Best to use the type that Polly mentioned.

Two of my dogs are used to snoods, from their show days.

Thanks for the tip Carol. They're harder to clean and don't stand up well to scrubbing.

The stainless bowls from Dot's post are what I have always used for food.
Does anyone have any ideas along the same line for water with the big jug attached?
I currently have this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751047&lmdn=Dog but the jug seems too heavy or something and it settles down too far and the water doesn't come out. I like the design otherwise because the bowl part is narrow and ears stay out of it.

Last edited:
We do have a water dish like Dot's post we've been using. It must just be a size thing. He is so tiny! He is still able to get his ears in it if he doesn't keep his head in the center. We probably just need the tiny version of it.

Jenn, That looks perfect. I had elevated bowls for Sarge when we got Lance, and Lance was so tall he had no problems eating out of it, but it is way to tall for little Max. I will see if I can find those around here.

We wound up taking Max to the pet store and letting him try out all the ones that looked like they might work. On almost all of them head and ear went right in. We were about to give up and get a tiny plastic dish, but we finally found a couple of small ceramic bowls that his ears went on the outside and his nose inside. Hopefully we can find the elevated ones during those few weeks Kelly mentioned. :)

Back