Weird Eating Habit?

Max's_Mommy

2 Months With My Max Lou
Owned by
1 cocker
Max will only eat if I am in the same room as he is and when I leave he will stop eating and follow. Then he will bring mouthfuls of food into what ever room I am in and then drop it on the floor and eat it! How do I handle this type of habit any advice would be Great?

I think dogs are highly social and like to do everything with us. I try to time our dinner with Hoshi that way we both eat at the same time.

I think dogs are highly social and like to do everything with us. I try to time our dinner with Hoshi that way we both eat at the same time.

Oh thats a good idea I will try to feed him when we eat dinner that is the only meal with a set time during the week. Breakfest he eats with Logan.

Either Michael or I stand there with ours while they eat. We lock Pogo up because he will try to steal Tunie's dinner. But the rest are okay.

Our kitchen, dining room living room are all one big room....I think people call it the great room. Very open. So, Peekaboo is rarely alone, eating or otherwise, if one of us is home. This is not something we have experienced. That being said, Peeka usually eats as I clean up from dinner.

I can see his bowl from the front room but he wont eat unless I am standing right there. So I guess I have to do what you do Polly stand right with him.Thank you so much for your answers everyone!

Sarge, Lance, and even Max are the same way. I take something with me that I can listen to audio books or podcasts with and stand there with them until they get done eating.

He will not starve himself, try only feeding him from his bowl...no handouts. If you allow this as a puppy, it can lead to a serious problem later if you have to leave him at the vets overnight or else where when boarded. And can possibly lead to an anxiety issue when he is older.

Put his food down, wait until he starts to eat then leave the room. If he leaves it take him back to it or pick it up and feed him later.

We feed all the girls within a 3 foot area of each other. They know that if they leave their food it gets eaten by someone else. They are not allowed to butt into someone else's dish, however if they leave their bowls uneaten they runnthe risk of someone else eatting it. Maggie and Hannah hardly taste their food I swear that I could serve them sawdust. Zoe' is a slow methotical eater, Maggie will sit patiently waiting for her to finish each meal.

When Buddy is here he eats in the hall bathroom, as soon as I touch his dish to pick it up he heads from the rug to the bathroom and sits and waits (where he will sit until his dish comes). I do this to keep Zoe' from attacking him when he walks past her, go figure she is 17 lbs, Buddy is 72 lbs and she picks on him horribly. She does this cause he will not fight back.

Last edited:
He will not starve himself, try only feeding him from his bowl...no handouts. If you allow this as a puppy, it can lead to a serious problem latter if you have to leave him at the vets overnight or else where when boarded. And can possibly lead to an anxiety issue when he is older.

Put his food down, wait until he starts to eat then leave the room. If he leaves it take him back to it or pick it up and feed him later.

dWe feed all the girls within a 3 foot area of each other. They know tht if they leave their food it gets eaten by someone else. They are not allowed to but into someone else's dish, however if they leave their bowls uneaten they runn the risk of someone else eatting it. Maggie and Hannah hardly taste their food I swear that I could serve them sawdust. Zoe' is a slow methotical eater, Maggie will sit patiently waiting for her to finish each meal.

I basically do the same thing. Food is down when it's down. If you don't eat it - like NOW - then you wait for supper. I do keep watch so no one steals someone else's food. All mine have learned it's now or you're gonna be hungry for a while. Used to free-feed long ago and ended up with a very obese Mendi. Thought my vet was gonna chop my head off! OK she only got up to 35 lbs but that was enough for my vet to get really ticked at me. "Do you know what you're doing to that dog's spine and hips?!" Oh yeah - it was baaaad. Mine don't mess around when it's meal time. I did coddle Coco cause he was old and tended to forget he was eating. But he preferred to dine al fresco so it wasn't so bad.

He will not starve himself, try only feeding him from his bowl...no handouts. If you allow this as a puppy, it can lead to a serious problem later if you have to leave him at the vets overnight or else where when boarded. And can possibly lead to an anxiety issue when he is older.

We feed all the girls within a 3 foot area of each other. They know that if they leave their food it gets eaten by someone else. They are not allowed to butt into someone else's dish, however if they leave their bowls uneaten they runnthe risk of someone else eatting it. Maggie and Hannah hardly taste their food I swear that I could serve them sawdust. Zoe' is a slow methotical eater, Maggie will sit patiently waiting for her to finish each meal.

When Buddy is here he eats in the hall bathroom, as soon as I touch his dish to pick it up he heads from the rug to the bathroom and sits and waits (where he will sit until his dish comes). I do this to keep Zoe' from attacking him when he walks past her, go figure she is 17 lbs, Buddy is 72 lbs and she picks on him horribly. She does this cause he will not fight back.

He can't have many hand outs at the moment so that is not a problem. I found out he didn't like his dish where it was and as soon as I moved it he ate fine out of it! Thanks for the advice!!

Back