What is wrong with Kaylee?

member 23

Owned by
1 cocker
The last few days, Kaylee has been acting like she does when I go out of town. Very depressed..she walks around whimpering, and howling. I don't understand, nothing has changed around the house... John and I have had some stress lately... other than that I can't think of anything.

Then unlike all that, when I took her to get groomed yesterday she acted a bit differently than usual. She would usually be a little reserved going into the store... but yesterday she was wagging her tail, ears perked up, and leading me in and trying to greet everyone. Also in the past I wouldn't be able to get her to play with any of the toys *in* the store, but yesterday she played with a ball. Her great attitude lasted before grooming, apparently during- the groomer gave her nothing but wonderful comments when I picked her up and even on a checklist card wrote that she was very very very [yes 3 very's] good and fun to work with, plus put an "excellent" sticker on it.. which has never happened before, despite never getting any complaints about her....., and continued after after her grooming.

But then back to it last night, she was crying and howling..and again this morning, her howling woke me up.. so I took her out to do her business, she did, I brought her in and not 5 mins later is she whimpering again (till I told her to shuttit and now she's laying down chewing her toy... lol). I just don't know what is going on with her!! Any ideas?

I'd say her symptoms are more like anxiety than depression. I'm not sure why either especially with you two at home with her. I might also think she might have pain but I've never heard a dog howl in pain--sounds more like anxiety. I would mention it to your vet during her next visit. I hope she feels better. :luv:

I'd say her symptoms are more like anxiety than depression. I'm not sure why either especially with you two at home with her. I might also think she might have pain but I've never heard a dog howl in pain--sounds more like anxiety. I would mention it to your vet during her next visit. I hope she feels better. :luv:
Ashlee I agree with Manuel. If she continues, I would take her to the vet just to be sure it's nothing more serious.

Sometimes when they are out, dogs will hide whatever pain they feel. They don't want to appear weak. At home she might feel comfortable enough to let you know something is wrong.

The howling is something she only does when she's in her crate. A plea to be let out, mostly. She's just doing it more often than I'm used to? I guess the symptoms make sense for anxiety, I just don't know why she's anxious. Like I said, nothing's changed around here, other than a little stress between John and me, but we're working through it.

Something is going on that neither of you know about. Anxiety, maybe, but it sounds like grief or sadness. She seems ok when getting special attention and going bye byes but at home, something is off. Are any of your other pets I'll?

Have you two been arguing? She is possibly trying to draw your attention from each other to her because she's feeling your stress.

No, the day we had a blowout we weren't at home.. and things are getting better. I just noticed today that she is getting overly stressed out when one of us leaves. Just now John went out to get the dog food from the car, and she FREAKED.. barked a few times then ran looking for me crying... and today we took her with us to go pick up some lunch (we normally don't take her)..and when I left the car to get the food, John said she went nuts she barked a couple of times then went straight into her howling routine. =\ She has always had seperation anxiety but this is beyond normal. I will mention at her next vet visit if it's still an issue, or if it doesn't change before too long I'll take her in anyway.

Sounds like something is causing her anxiety, Chase did that after Dillon died. He hasn't done it for a long time thank goodness!

Back