what OTC meds to give?

Paula N.

Owned by
1 cocker
I've seen that people give their cockers PeptoBismol and the like for upset tummies. I've never taken it so is this the pink liquid or does it also come in tablets? What else can you give a dog that is over-the-counter? Angus woke me up at 5am with the dry heaves (although there was some gooey junk too but nothing in his stomach to actually puke up). I've got no ideas why his little tummy was upset.

Over the weekend, he did swallow the last 1" of a bully stick (more like a tendon though). I usually take it away from him when they get that small but I missed this one. I know they are digestable and he's been eating and pooping normally. I worry like he is my baby - oh wait, he is my baby!!

Paula I do keep Pepto tablets on hand for tummy trouble. Was Angus' dry heaves with yellow bile? Maybe he needs a little bedtime snack. There is a great homiopathic remedy called bowl discomfort that I love keeping onhand, I do buy it online.

Angus only ate 1/2 of his dinner last night and the gunk was btwn clear and yellow so maybe he was just hungry. He's teething so he's not too interested in his food...I'm still enticing him with broth over it. My husband said he was perfectly fine on his walk this morning. I'll have to get the PB tablets tonight. Thanks!

I give the pepto liquid, with a oral syring. The tabs are ment to be chewed and I have yet to get one of my dogs to eat them. The syring that I have has a long flexible neck on it and so I slide it between the lips and way in by the back molors and while holding the mouth mostly closed give little bits and they swallow it. It is a learned technique after wearing pink several times.

Now this is not to say that they will not walk away shooting the death glare at me but it works.

You want to be careful with the Pepto liquid because it stains like mad..... I use the syringe and try to adminster in the kitchen or bathroom (ceramic floors)..... But I also try to hold the dog's head still until they swallow because some tend to want to shake out the nasty taste and trying to get that stuff out of carpets is a nightmare!

I use the pepto tabs but just stuff into a piece of fruit or hot dog...in their food if I remember one of em needs a little help. Mostly Coco at near 14 needs a little help now and then. Just a half a tab and he's usually good to um go! Also use Glucosamine/Chondroitan tabs for Monte, Charlie, and Coco for those aches and pains...take it myself too! Fish oil caps for all of us. Benedryl (Walmart knock-off) for my little Monte and for me. Maxwell for Lupus was on a multitude of OTC supplements like Sam-E, Vitamin E, and fish oil prescribed by the vet but OTC. I have two books that tell you what you can and can't give your pet for home use and it even gives dosing info and what to do in emergency situations. For instance when Max got into the garbage once. I came home to a dog with a HUGE belly! Since there wasn't anything in the trash that could actually hurt him, I searched my books and found the recommended treatment of 1/2 tab pepto, do not feed for at least 12 hours and only give ice chips every hour. My vet was out of town so I gave him the pepto and an ice chip. Within an hour he was doing well. Saved me a bundle for the emergency vet not that I would not have taken him if he had not responded near immediately... The Blue Power recipe has saved me a bundle on vet bills for those cocker ears. All stuff you can buy OTC. I especially love that stuff cause you can give the pooch immediate relief instead of waiting - and watching your dog in pain - for however long it takes to get a vet appointment. With regular use you won't even see another ear infection! For pain management due to old Arthus the Glucosamine works but sometimes you need something stronger. My vet gave me Metacam which eats holes in the organs - nice. Pricey and you must do liver profiles I believe it was every 3 months. Instead I found liquid Glucosamine on-line, apple flavored, and able to increase doseage as needed since there are no known side-effects. Malaseb at maybe $30 per bottle at the vet for skin problems? Vet told me to pour out a little of my regular shampoo and add some peroxide and shake well before using. Same effects - better if you use Neem Oil shampoo!

Nothing beats a vet appointment in emergencies but knowing what to do in the interim can be just as important to a good outcome. Like how to stabilize a broken bone before that rush to the vet... Everyone should have at least one first aid manual on-hand - JMO

I would recommend Pepcid 10mg over Pepto Bismol for nausea and vomiting. Both Pepcid and Pepto would relieve nausea and vomiting by decreasing stomach acid and therefore irritation of the stomach however Pepcid is much more effective. Pepto is also useful for treating certain forms of diahrrea because it binds with toxins produced by bacteria.

Foster and Smith have a great list of meds used on dogs and cats (please check each link and make sure they say it's safe).

Wow Manuel, that is a great list! Thanks for posting it!^_^

Wow, thanks everyone!!! He seems to be fine now except for our neighbour who gives him way too many treats - english is not his first language so it's kinda hard to get the point across - great hearted guy though!!

Back