What supplements can I use?

precious pumpkin

Owned by
1 cocker
I am going to try switching Pumpkin to puppy stew. I hope she like's it. She is very picky and she doesn't like veggies. She is allergic to chicken, she starts chewing her paws when she eats it .So I am going to try ground turkey. Have other ideas what I can use instead? I heard beef is not good for dogs with IBD. What supplements and vitamins should I use with her puppy stew?

I still haven't receive the results why she got the bladder stones? It's taking forever! I will post as soon as I find out. She is doing much better.:)

What about fish, can I use fish? What kind? Pumpkin loves fish.

Last edited:
This is a great question for Polly and I'm sure she'll have suggestions. From what I've heard puppy stew is nutritionally balanced. I don't think it's necessary to add vitamins. If pumpkin is having problems with stones you might want to find out the cause and make sure anything you add to her diet would not worsen things.

I guess I should wait.Its just taking forever. My friend said is probably the kibbles that gave her the stones. She said any type of kibbles is bad for your dogs. She is in to holistic and reads up on things too. She is also a pet communicator.

Cathy, I would wait to see about the IBS.. I usually use ground beef in mine because Stormy has a little trouble with chicken. I use frozen broccoli Normandy because it has crook neck squash in it that is good for the dogs.

I give a chewable multi for mine, they get a salmon cap (1000 mgs) 2 x a day. They think they are treats. They get a chewable probioitc also that I get from work. Sometimes I add bone meal but not always since my dogs are full grown.

I don't use fish at all in mine.. I don't think I would like the smell. But, that's just me. Mine love fish or any protein. You could add yougert and pumpkin on top. I know Linny does that often also.

When my dogs are older, or if they need it, I will add a chewable joint suppliment.

I agree with the other folks that have already posted - I would hold off on changing Pumpkin's diet until you get the results of the testing done on her stones. Some dogs are more prone to bladder stones, and then you will need to formulate a diet that will keep the pH in her bladder at the right levels, to prevent stones in the future.

Also, if Pumpkin has IBS, you definitely want to make sure that any new diet isn't going to aggravate her tummy. You might consider talking to a canine nutritionist. I know there's a really good one that will do consults and help you come up with a suitable diet for your dog, but I can't remember her name right now (of course!). She'd be a good one to talk to, though.

Thank you Polly and Kelly. I will wait til I get results.
I think that's very wise ^_^

Ask your vet for some recipes also. They usually have a book with recipes for food for dogs with problems. That's where I got recipes for Pak when he was in renal failure.

Great info Kelly!!! Manuel don't we have a post-it or a forum with tips in it? I think Kelly's link should be added.

I added it the the sticky on the Advice forum. Thanks Kelly.

Back