Whining in crate

Messyhair

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi all!

I have a 13-week old pup that does not like to be crated. I've tried easing him into it with treats and praise, but he will either not go for the treats inside the crate, or will just dart in and out again. Most of the time there's no real issue with crating him, but in the evening he gets crated around 9pm after a little workout to get him tired out, and that's when the whining happens. It doesn't happen for long - maybe 10 minutes at the most - but I don't know if this is normal for a pup this age and if so, when it should stop, or if this is something that I have to train him out of. It's driving my husband crazy, so I'd like to keep the peace if I can. :)

Oh, and he does nap after this and wakes up around 10:30pm or so for his last pee-break before dozing off for the night. Some times he'll whine then, too, but no whining through the night.

Thanks for any advice you have!

I think this is normal and will get better. I would just continue getting him used to the crate like you have been. Our cocker Hoshi isn't crated anymore but still cries at night. Not sure why. He'll start howling for about a minute after we've gone to bed. My wife says it's worse when I'm working midnights.

My parti pup did that for a good while when I first started crate training. Now he doesn't make a sound except to tell me when I need to get out of bed to let him out. Some adjustment periods vary between pups :)

I think that that is pretty normal...best advise I can give you not to let him out when he whines. That will teach him that if he makes a fuss he can come out. If you know that he has gone potty, not overly hungrey and other wise OK, I would just let him have his whiney time and then settle down for sleep.

During the day, leave the door open so he can come and go as he wants, feed him in it and put a favorite (safe) toy in there. He will come to think of the crate as his safe place. NEVER place him there as punishment.

Last edited:
I think this is normal and will get better. I would just continue getting him used to the crate like you have been. Our cocker Hoshi isn't crated anymore but still cries at night. Not sure why. He'll start howling for about a minute after we've gone to bed. My wife says it's worse when I'm working midnights.

Is he asking to sleep on the bed? Hannah is not allowed to jump on the bed anymore and sometimes she will chatter at me to let her out and up.

Back