will this really work and ok to do?

M

martinkris04

http://miss-donna.hubpages.com/hub/The_Best_Homemade_Dog_Shampoo

That recipe sounds okay to me just be careful around the eyes. Rinse the eyes thoroughly with water if you do get some in. One of our past members suggested using a wash cloth for the face. My cocker is scared of getting water on his face so I just use a wash cloth (no soap) on his face.

I'm wondering if the vinegar would be really helpful for the hated "rusty yeast between the toes." I still think you would want a conditioner, though.

I have equate light moisturizing hand soap and great value distilled white vinegar would those work for that recipe?

For conditioner
http://m.voices.yahoo.com/easy-cheap-homemade-conditioner-dogs-8907971.html

I am not sure about that one. One thing is I always use conditioner. I would use a dog shampoo, that one might not be great for his coat. I have used vinegar though. I applied it after conditioner is rinsed. My friend also used vinegar on her cockers. It really helped their itching. Coat looked good as well. But don't put the vinegar on his face.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/easy-cheap-homemade-conditioner-dogs-8907971.html

Not so sure about that conditioner. The oil for one thing might make him stink after a while. Just like making cookies, I know that even after washing the mixer, it still stinks over a time. The oil might make his coat too greasy. I am for the vinegar rinse though. Vinegar does help with the itchy dogs.

I remember the hippie girl hair home-made conditioners, out of eggs, and mayonnaise, and how hard they were rinse out completely.

I remember the hippie girl hair home-made conditioners, out of eggs, and mayonnaise, and how hard they were rinse out completely.

yeah and washing your hair to get it out only stripped the natural oils out of it..

Just gave him a bath with the stuff I did 1 cup of each soap and vinegar. I washed him really good rinsed him really good and did the whole egg and 1 tablesppon of baby oil and added at least 1 cup water and rinsed him with it let him sit for couple mins then rinsed him really really well with warm water and theb towel dryed him a lot then blow dryed some and air dryed rest. He feels cleaner now the. He felt first two washes. We will see how he does itchy and all so far nothing only been 15 mins out of bath though. Figure I'd try and find something that works for him.

yeah and washing your hair to get it out only stripped the natural oils out of it..

I had oily hair and it made it horrible. Not a drop of oil anywhere in my hair by the time I got the stuff out. It was dry as dust, the ends stripped, and a tangled mess. No way I'd use anything like that on my dog.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dry-skin-remedies-for-dogs.html

Hmmm. Not so sure about that one. In my opinion bathing helps. They would say not to over bathe years ago when shampoos were harsh. I bathe every week. But that is me and it helps my dogs. I would not add oatmeal in the shampoos or conditioners. It can make things worse. I have ready several places about that. There are many great dog shampoos on the market. I happen to like pet silk, have been using their products for about 18 years. I am all for adding omega 3 and omega 6 in the food. You do need the right balance though. I add krill oil from mercola healthy pets. It does not contain any metals that some of the fish oils do. This is just what works for me. But you do what works for you. Good luck with everything.

I have used oatmeal shampoo for many years...I find it wonderful for dry itchy skin,licking and allergies.. It is very mild and soothing and helps with hair growth and coat. The downside to oatmeal shampoo is never use it if your pet has any kind of yeast problems going on in paw,feet and toe areas as it can add to the yeast overgrowth. But for a healthy dog I really like it and it leaves the hair so soft and silky. I have never used one that I made as I am not sure it would be balanced correctly for dogs PH.

The only thing I see with the soap is it could be a little harsh which could cause more drying and flaking of the skin over time which causes more itching and licking but then again it could work just fine for you.

Everyone has a favorite shampoo as there are hundreds our there and each dog seems to do better on a certain kind just like food so it is a matter of finding what works best for you and your dog.

Last edited:
Back