Would you get rid of your dog?

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
This is a true story. A daughter recently went online asking for help. She told her parents she was pregnant and asked them to get rid of their cocker spaniel because he's aggressive and dislikes children. Her parents said no. Guess what? The forum's majority sided with her parents. I'm not sure what I would do. I think the daughter should make an earnest effort to find other accommodations before forcing them to decide.

What would you do?
  • parents own aggressive cocker spaniel
  • daughter lives with parents
  • daughter's unexpected pregnancy

Oh man Manuel, that is a very hard one! Personally, I don't think she has the right to ask her parents to give up their cocker. I think she should make
other arrangements also, I would even consider paying half of her rent and utilities for a limited timeframe. How old was this girl? Is she an adult or a teen?

Lots of questions, how old is the cocker? I wonder how aggressive the dog is and to whom?

It seems that the daughter was living in her parents’ home when she became pregnant and doesn’t have the money to move out. The daughter is suggesting that the dog be left in the garden all day long until about 8pm when the baby will go to bed.

1. The daughter is staying in her parents’ house.
2. Do the parents even want a baby living in their house?
3. Does anyone know a newborn baby who goes to sleep magically at 8pm?
4. If the daughter has no money to move, how is she planning on supporting a baby?

I think the parents are entitled to keep their dog. It’s their house and their dog. I’m sure they realize that it’s not good for their dog to be kept outside all day and all evening. It’s not difficult at all to keep a dog away from a newborn. They’re either being held or sleeping. When the baby gets older it could very well be an issue.

I think the daughter needs to get her act together and move. When she visits her parents they can crate their dog. Issue solved.

I read a lot of the thread, she has decided to stay with an aunt till she can afford her own place. I think that's the best for all around.
I agree with everything you said Karen.

I'm split on this. My niece has a newborn, she's unmarried and has no job. So, she lives w/my brother. She is also hearing impaired and has trouble keeping a job. Nor do I think she's, at this point in time, capable of living on her own. So, w/out knowing more about the people involved, I can't say for sure what I'd recommend.

Glad something worked out. The daughter has some responsibility here. If she s old enough to get pregnant and chooses to keep the baby then she needs to be on her own and take care of herself and her baby , there are lots of places to turn to for help. IMO

Well u don't really leave an infant lying about unattended right? Mostly they sleep and eat and need their diapers changed and you monitor them frequently. In my opinion that should give the daughter time enough to get her act together and move out. I doubt I would get rid of my dog....I would find a way to make it work. Keeping my dog outside would not be an option. I don't leave my now 17 month of grandaughter alone with Fiona....ever. Fiona finds solutions for stuff she wants....often sureprising ones....she is much too tightly wound to have blind faith and she likes kids. I don't leave the baby around any of the dogs unattended but most especially not Fiona.

Last edited:
A Sad Tale.... this story reminds me an unfortunate incident in my sister's family a few years back: My sisters two daughters each have a child....the eldest has a 4 legged child named Jackson, who is a rescued Llasa Apso mix, with poor eyesight. The younger daughter has a little girl and a large boisterous, extremely active hunting dog mix, also a rescue, named Josie. A few years back, when Zoey was a toddler, she didn't like dogs much: At home, Josie, in her enthusiasm, knocked her flat so many times that Zoey ran away from her own dog every time she saw her. Added to those early negative experiences was the shock that Jackson nipped her on two different occasions at family gatherings because she was strange, and she accidentally fell on him once when she was a toddler because she lost her balance. Jackson has a history of biting unfamiliar people who handle him in an unfamiliar fashion. He isn't mean. ... he just panics and lashes out. "It is the dog who decdes what is spooky" was how the one dog trainer pUT it. It was watching this drama unfold that led me to decide that my grandaughters should never be left unattended with our dogs but especially not Fiona.

Back