My Cocker need help!

savagemmom2

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi All,

I feel really terrible for joining just to ask for help, but I'm spreading my story as far and as wide as I possibly can in an attempt to help my girl.

Chels.jpg

This is Chelsea. She is almost ten, a beautiful, spayed, buff, purebred American Cocker Spaniel, and the sweetest, most gentle dog I have ever met. I have owned and loved Chelsea since she was 9 months old, when I adopted her from a breeder who decided that Chels wasn't good enough to show. She has one canine sister, Jersey--a rescued sheltie-German Shepherd mix who is also about 10 years old.

Chels, like many Cockers, has had many ear infections. Been on antibiotic drops numerous times. The most recent infection wouldn't go away. Vet says Chels has too much scar tissue in her ear. We tried laser treatments--didn't work. Chels is now in constant pain. Good news is the other ear is fine. Bad news is the vet says Chelsea needs an ear canal ablation to end her pain. This costs $2,000. I am underemployed, and am just completing month 12 of treatment for chronic Lyme disease and co-infections. This past winter, I didn't know if I'd live through the illness. Now I am doing SO much better. But my doc appts., antibiotics, antiparasitics, herbals, naturopath appts., therapy appts., etc. have put me deeply into debt.

Earlier this summer, I opened a Care Credit account to have a dental done on my doggies. Because they are getting older, needing pre-op blood work, and because Chels lost many teeth, it was very expensive--nearly $1,000. My credit is tapped out. I've NEVER asked for financial help before. But I need help now, because I can't watch my girl suffer for much longer. Every time I put drops in her ear she cries. She cried when the vet tech did the laser treatments. But she never, ever snapped, growled, or showed any kind of aggression whatsoever. She never has. She is the most gentle, kind, wonderful little soul. She can always be trusted out in public (she has also passed her Canine Good Citizen training) to be a good ambassador for her breed. This dog deserves an end to the relentless pain she is enduring.

I managed to save $500 by taking on extra work. Chelsea's human "sister," who is 11 years old and wants to be a vet, is trying to raise money via a lemonade stand. I have set up an online fund raiser to try and drum up the rest. I thought I might be forgiven for setting up an account here to ask for help? What better place to find people who love the breed and know how much Chelsea deserves to get this surgery. Ironically years ago, before my divorce (I'm now a single mom of two), I used to pull dogs from the local pound, pay for the veterinary care out-of-pocket, and adopt them out. Now one of my own needs help and I cannot afford it. :(Please, if you cannot donate but can help spread the word, put this link up on your Facebook page, send it out to dog-loving friends, etc.

https://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/end-chelsea-s-pain/223252

Thanks so much!

Chelsea's mom, Melanie

Melanie, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself first. We no nothing about you at all.

Sure,

I tried to share a little bit in my original post, but I'm so anxious to get Chelsea the help she needs I guess I rushed a bit. She really doesn't look good lately--kind of spaced out, holds her head at a funny angle. I need to get her help!

So I'm a divorced, single mom of two kids --aforementioned 11 year old daughter, 14 year old son. I hold an M.A. in English. At the moment I'm employed as a newspaper reporter/photographer, which pays crap. Seriously--poverty-level. Have been seeking better employment for about 12 months, but I probably don't need to tell anyone how tough the current job market is. Alimony runs out in less than 2 months, at which point my financial situation becomes even more dire. Concurrent to looking for work (and working a full-time and two part-time jobs), I've been treating for Lyme disease and several other tick-borne infections. Incidentally, Chelsea has been treated for Lyme more than once, too. Don't know what anyone knows about Lyme and Babesia (one of the other diseases confirmed by blood work for me), but they can take many forms. For me, Babesia seems to have attacked my brain the most strongly. About one year ago today, the disease(s) started causing horrible symptoms, the worst of which were head pressure, terrible headaches, insomnia and depression/anxiety. There were points this winter when I was fighting suicidal thoughts. Somehow, I managed to hang onto my job(s) through all of this, and continue to care for my kids and pets. But I went into terrible debt, even with insurance. Medical co-pays, nutritionist visits, therapy visits (in an effort to get support so that I didn't actually give in to urges to off myself), herbal treatments.

Am feeling somewhat better now, but still require treatment. About the time I started to feel better, Chelsea developed a new ear infection (she's had them off and on her whole life). This time, we found she had the scare tissue. That's when we realized she needed the surgery.

I've been a huge animal love my whole life. Both Chelsea and Jersey (my dogs) were acquired when my financial situation was MUCH better (before my divorce, the economy crash, etc.). Chelsea is my first cocker, and the most gentle, sweetest dog ever. I did have a Yorkshire terrier that could have given her a run for her money in the sweet department, though. Her name was Chelsea, as well. I named the new Chels after the old one because they were both so sweet. Chels number 1 died of kidney failure at the age of 13. She had lost a lot of teeth, too. She was also a rescue. I also have parrots (all rescues), lizards and fish. Oh, and chickens (for the eggs). Ironically, before my divorce I used to pull dogs from the local city pound and pay for their vet care out of pocket. I'd adopt them out to new homes, after screening carefully. Probably rehomed about 20-30 dogs this way. I'd have to check my vet records to get an accurate number. Now I cannot afford to take care of my own, sweet doggie.

What else can I tell you? I'm a pacifist, politically lean to the left.
C:\Users\masavage\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
I'm very upset by all of the turmoil I see in the world around me. I try to be as kind as I possibly can to my fellow human beings, but I often fall short. I love my kids. As I type this, I'm out on my back deck enjoying the scent of the mounds and towers of flowering plants that I grew myself--all from seed, because I could not afford to buy plants. It smells heavenly. Don't know what else to tell. I'm an open book, though. You can ask me anything and I'll try to answer.

I'm in agreement with Manuel. I'm sure you're a good person doing your best but it's so easy to trick people out of money on the internet especially just by setting up an account.

Best of luck to you and your dog, but unfortunately I won't be donating.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry you have so much going on in your life right now. I hope you become an active member of our forum. You might win the trust of others doing so.

Hmmm...OK--I might become an active member of the forum. Thing is, I'm so bury trying to survive, I don't have a lot of time for posting on the internet. I don't even have a really active Facebook page. Unfortunately, Chelsea doesn't have time for me to "earn your trust." She's in pain NOW, and it's my job to figure out a way to end it. Would it help if I posted a copy of the vet's estimate? Had donations sent directly to the vet's office, into a special account? I'm open for suggestions. In the meantime, I'll continue spreading the message around to people who DO know me. I just thought that people who loved Cocker spaniels might be more inclined to feel sympathy for my beautiful girl.

Hi Melanie,

I wonder if you have considered checking into one of these groups. They help with medical expenses for people who are in dire need of assistance. I think this might be something that would help you to help Chels.

http://bestfriends.org/Resources/Financial-Assistance-For-Pet-Guardians/

Here are some additional links that might be of some help as well;

http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html

http://www.shakespeareanimalfund.org/

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/10/27/help-with-vet-bills/

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, Marclay! I'll check those out. You canine family is adorable, by the way!

It is so difficult to donate to you so sorry, I will recommend keep up the ear drops Chelsea will express less discomfort as her ears heal, this will not improve hearing but her ears will be comfortable.

Last edited:
might be more inclined to feel sympathy for my beautiful girl.

I think that's a bit unfair. I live in MI and my cocker rescue is at full capacity and there are still many cockers languishing in shelters, dirty and matted that need help.

I volunteer at my local humane society who gets no government help. I donate my time and energy to help bathe and nail trim rescue dogs. I take them for walks and try to help them develop leash skills and basic obedience.

It's not that I'm unsympathetic it's just that every day most of us are faced with many cockers that need help, and I know everyone on this forum has donated their time and/or efforts towards cocker rescue.

I'm a full college student with a part time job, I had to take a year off from work for medical leave. I know what it's like to have a hard time, I know what it's like to feel overwhelmed

While I'm very sorry Chelsea is in pain, but trying to guilt trip us into donating isn't very nice of you either, to be frank.

Money is tight for everybody - so it may not be that people aren't sympathetic. It may be that we don't have a lot of discretionary funds, and those we do have we might use for people or groups we know.

Hello Melanie...I have read your story and thought about your struggles with Chelsea's ear surgery. Even though I do not know you I can never turn down helping a dog in need. Please understand I also have a dog needing surgery right now but if you will PM me with your Vet's name, address and phone number I will donate a little to your Chelsea's fund through your Vet's office.

Hi, I just wanted to respond and say I hope you are able to find some help through some of the suggestions Marclay gave you.

I would help if I could, but with four with health issues I am trying to get enough together just to keep mine going. I know how hard it is , been there, and I worry what I would do if and when the time comes I can't find what I need for them.

I am very sympathic to your dog's plight, however I don't know you at all. If my husband and I gave to every charity or individual asking for money for a good cause we would have given away our entire yearly income by the second week of January. I'm sure that is the same for everyone here.

We give mainly to 501C3's. We also give a percentage to non 501C3's such as some dog rescue groups, many don't have the money or legal background to do the paper work for tax exempt status but usually we know someone affiliated with the rescue, or things like stuff a backpack with school supplies for a child in need. We occasionally give to individuals but we have a strict criteria. We only give to individuals that we know either personally or in some other way, or individuals that someone we trust knows.

One of the local 501C3's we donate to helps people in need with their pets. Local vets, humane society, police officers and some others can refer people, and if they are approved, the charity will help people pay for vet services, food, or other needs for their pets.

Maybe you could ask your vet if they know of anything like that in your community. Also have you asked your vet if you could make payments? If you are a long time client my vet will let people do that. Best of luck with your dog. I hope she is able to have the surgery.

Savagemmom2-
I noticed that this thread is almost 3 years old, but I stumbled across it this afternoon, while doing research on my own cocker spaniels ear ablation surgery. His name is Pete, he is 11 1/2 and he is the biggest blessing I could have ever received.
I too, am in the exact same situation as you, in terms of your dog requiring surgery and not earning enough to save the love of your life. Fortunately, after several years, we can now afford to have Pete's surgery done. But I was desperate too, and have reached out similar to how you have. I have to say, I am surprised by how others are so quick to judge or be curt in their responses. You can't help? Don't respond. Send blessings. Understand my pain, the same way you hope others would understand yours when you are in an agonizing situation.
I'm sorry I did not see your post three years earlier, but I do hope you and Chels were met with a miracle. I truly feel your pain.
Hugs,
J

Back